Chemistry Major (BA, BS) and Minor
Looking for an undergraduate degree that will prepare you well for a future career as a chemist, or want to pursue a graduate degree? You’re in the right place. Chemistry courses at Lynchburg are taught by experienced faculty who provide individualized attention and mentoring. At Lynchburg, you’ll explore different areas within the field of chemistry through elective courses and research opportunities.
Courses in organic, analytical, and physical chemistry make up the foundation of Lynchburg’s chemistry degree program. These courses provide you with a fundamental understanding of the nature of matter and the forces that govern its behavior. Along the way, you’ll also develop vital laboratory skills and learn to operate sophisticated scientific equipment.
At Lynchburg, you’ll also take a variety of courses that enable you to explore specific areas of interest in greater depth. For example, you might take courses in forensic chemistry, environmental chemistry, or biochemistry. You might also pursue a study abroad or domestic study away experience at a chemical laboratory.
You’ll be challenged academically but also given ample support, so that when it comes time to enter into your chosen profession after graduation, you’ll be confident about what lies ahead.
Chemistry degree options:
- Bachelor of Arts: Designed for students who intend to work in laboratories or teach, and for pre-professional (pre-med, pre-dental, pre-veterinary, or pre-pharmacy) students.
- Bachelor of Science: Designed for students who want to continue their study of chemistry at the graduate level.
As a Lynchburg chemistry student, you’ll:
- Receive ample support and mentoring while being challenged, so that you’ll enter your career fully prepared.
- Learn from experienced faculty members with individualized attention.
- Complete a variety of courses to explore different areas within chemistry.
- Have opportunities for a wide range of research.
Student and Alumni Spotlights
Jason Crumpton, PhD
Associate Professor of Chemistry
Chair of the Chemistry Department