English Major (BA) and Minor
With an English major or minor you’ll have the opportunity to explore various genres and periods of literature, study the English language, develop your abilities as a reader and critical thinker, and improve your writing skills.
What Will I Study?
Your classes cover topics such as literary criticism, literature from medieval to the present day, and writing – expository, creative, and writing in the workplace.
English majors finish their studies with a senior seminar, which gives seniors a chance to use skills and knowledge gained over the course of the major.
What Kind of Job Can I Get?
It’s hard to overstate the importance of being able to communicate well. Our graduates are well prepared for careers in writing, editing, publishing, business, public service, education, public relations, and law; in fact, English is one of the most versatile majors – one of the many reasons why English is a great choice for your major.
What Are Some of Our Graduates Doing?
- Zoe Eisenberg ’10, Author and Editor, Learn More
- Katie Davidson ’09, Production Manager for Disney Publishing Worldwide, Learn More
- Software Engineer at Pivotal, Silicon Valley
- Professor, University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- Relay For Life Training, Resource Manager – VA/WV
- Assistant Commonwealth Attorney for Franklin County
- Education Director / Volunteer Coordinator, Avoca Museum
- Editorial Assistant, Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins – Baltimore
Graduate Schools University of Lynchburg English Graduates Are Attending
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- UNC Wilmington
- Bennington College
- Auburn University
- SUNY Buffalo
- Elon University Law School