With an English major (BA) or minor you’ll have the opportunity to explore various genres and periods of literature, study the English language, develop your abilities as a reader and critical thinker, and improve your writing skills.
What Will I Study?
Your classes cover topics such as literary criticism, literature from medieval to the present day, and writing – expository, creative, and writing in the workplace.
English majors finish their studies with a senior seminar, which gives seniors a chance to use skills and knowledge gained over the course of the major.
What Kind of Job Can I Get?
It’s hard to overstate the importance of being able to communicate well. Our graduates are well prepared for careers in writing, editing, publishing, business, public service, education, public relations, and law; in fact, English is one of the most versatile majors – one of the many reasons why English is a great choice for your major.
What Are Some of Our Graduates Doing?
- Software Engineer at Pivotal, Silicon Valley
- Professor, University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- Relay For Life Training, Resource Manager – VA/WV
- Assistant Commonwealth Attorney for Franklin County
- Education Director / Volunteer Coordinator, Avoca Museum
- Editorial Assistant, Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins – Baltimore
Graduate Schools LC English Graduates Are Attending
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- UNC Wilmington
- Bennington College
- Auburn University
- SUNY Buffalo
- Elon University Law School
|Like the University of Lynchburg English Department on Facebook to get updates on events and stay connected with the department.|