Communication Studies (BA)
If you enjoy writing, speaking, or making videos to share your ideas, then the communication studies major could be perfect for you! With this major, you’ll gain a deep understanding of the art of communication.
Our program lets you try out your skills from the very start. You’ll get to use our fantastic facilities, like our TV studio and video editing spaces, to work on real-life projects. You can also join the Critograph, our campus newspaper, or the Debate and Forensic Society, to get better at public speaking and debate. Plus, you can join the Public Relations Student Society of America, to meet new friends and mentors in the field.
We believe internships are a key part of learning. That’s why we have internships both on and off campus, so you can use your new skills in real-life situations. And don’t worry, our expert professors will be there to guide and support you as you prepare for your future career.
At Lynchburg, the communication studies program is all about making you a better communicator and giving you practical experience. Whether you dream of being a journalist, public speaker, or PR specialist, this program is the perfect starting point for your career.
As a Lynchburg communication studies student, you’ll:
- Improve your communication skills to understand how people talk and interact with each other in different situations like at work, with friends, and between different cultures.
- Boost your ability to think critically, solve problems, and work well with others.
- Learn how to speak in public and share your ideas in a way that is persuasive and effective.
The communication studies major offers four emphases:
- Electronic Media Emphasis
- Journalism Emphasis
- Public Relations Emphasis
- Social Influence and Advocacy Emphasis
Student and Alumni Spotlights
Michael Robinson, PhD
Professor of Communication Studies
Chair of the Communication Studies Department