In today’s digital age, journalism has been reinvented to appeal to an interactive global community. Traditional news systems are in need of ingenuity in an ever-changing world of technology.
You can study journalism as an emphasis of the communication studies major, or as a minor.
By studying both traditional writing and audio and visual production, you’ll be prepared for your choice of a variety of careers in television, radio, the web, and mobile technologies.
You will broaden your understanding of audience needs, the media industry, and the social impact of communication methods. You’ll be trained to use various media to enhance the art of digital storytelling while working with state-of-the-art equipment.
Ethics, information gathering, and writing across media are key components of this emphasis. You’ll learn the value of working across traditional media lines and how to write for various forms of media through coursework and direct experience.
As a journalism student, you’ll have lots of opportunities to put what you learn in class into practice, like:
- Our in-house production center
- Writing and reporting for local radio and television broadcasts
- Work-study students apprentice with faculty professionals on projects
- Access to local businesses and regional news organizations
- Writing and editing for the campus newspaper
- Publishing online content for web news agencies
- Creating multimedia stories for sports, concerts, and other campus events
- Internships and study abroad
The journalism emphasis prepares students for success in a multimedia information industry. Graduates in this emphasis often choose careers in:
- Newspaper Reporter
- Talk Radio Host
- Television News Anchor
- Investigative Journalist
- Copy Editor
- Magazine and Feature Writer
New Media Journalism
- Information Web Designer
- News Flow Editor
- Global News Reporter
- Social Networking Newscaster
- Backpack Journalist
- Multimedia Specialist
- Citizen journalist
Photography and Video
- Visual Storyteller
- Digital Editor
- Documentary Filmmaker
- Information Graphic Designer
- Interactive Media Creator
- Story Builder
- Advertising Designer
- Copy Writer