The journalism emphasis is all about getting you ready for a career in the fast-paced, always-changing world of news and digital media.
We’ve designed this program to help you master both traditional writing and modern audio-visual production. You’ll learn how to create content for different platforms, like TV, radio, websites, and smartphones. This way, you’re all set for a variety of cool jobs in the future.
But we’re not just about technical stuff. You’ll also get to know what audiences want, keep up with what’s trending in the media industry, and understand how different ways of communicating can affect society. Plus, you’ll get to work with some fantastic equipment to help you tell digital stories.
Our program places a big focus on ethics, finding information, and writing for different types of media. Through your classes and real-world experience, you’ll learn how to write for all kinds of platforms and work beyond traditional media boundaries. In short, you’ll become a versatile journalist who can handle any situation.
As a journalism student, you’ll have lots of opportunities to put what you learn in class into practice:
- Produce engaging content in our dedicated production center.
- Write and report for local radio and television broadcasts.
- Work side-by-side with faculty professionals on various projects as a work-study student.
- Connect with local businesses and regional news organizations.
- Write and edit articles for the campus newspaper.
- Generate online content for web-based news agencies.
- Design multimedia stories for sports, concerts, and other campus events.
- Internships and study abroad opportunities.
The journalism emphasis is also available as a minor.