Health and Physical Education Major (BS)
The health and physical education program prepares teacher candidates to teach pre-kindergarten through 12th grade health and physical education. The program also prepares all majors to qualify for Virginia teacher licensure.
What Will I Study?
You will study a wide range of subjects in physical activity and teaching methodology. All students gain a base of knowledge in health topics such as nutrition, drugs, and the dimensions of health and wellness. Students will also participate in a wide range of classes learning how the human body moves and ways to teach appropriate movement patterns to students.
What Kind of Job Can I Get?
- Public school Health and Physical Education teacher (elementary, middle, high school)
- Private School Health and Physical Education teacher
- Conduct research
What Are Some of Our Graduates Doing?
- Middle school teacher – Lynchburg City
- High school teacher – City of Alexandria
- Elementary school teacher
- Adjunct faculty – University of Lynchburg
University of Lynchburg Health and Physical Education graduates are attending:
- The University of Virginia
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- University of Lynchburg
The Health and Physical Education program is an accredited teacher preparation program through the Virginia Department of Education.
I really enjoyed going into the schools for practicum classes, having kids from Head Start coming to the college, and of course, doing student teaching.
Danielle Colbert '10
Steve Smith ’97, ’99 MEd, EdD, CSCS*D, RSCC, USAW
Associate Professor of Health and Physical Education