Sport Management (BA) and Minor
Explore the business of sports – an exciting and challenging field with a world of opportunities. This major or minor focuses on the commercial and legal aspects of sports, how to manage teams and clubs, marketing and promotional strategies, and skills to help you succeed at the community, college, or professional level.
What Will I Study?
Your courses will cover the history of sport in America, principles of sport management, sport ethics and current issues, sport finance, issues and controversies of gender and sport, sports law, facilities and event management, and promotion and marketing.
You’ll have practical application opportunities through hands-on internships and enrichment options through study abroad.
What Kind of Job Can I Get?
The sport industry has grown dramatically in the past decade and promises to continue to expand.
Our students are getting jobs in:
- Professional and intercollegiate sports
- Marketing and sales
- Facility and event management
- Media and communications.
What Are Some of Our Graduates Doing?
- Group ticketing sales, Frederick Keys, Class A Minor League affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles
- Operations Manager at Shriners Hospitals for Children Open, PGA Tour Event, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Corporate Sales Manager, Richmond International Raceway, NASCAR, Richmond, Va.
- Athletic Ticket Sales, University of Maryland, Baltimore/D.C. area
- Director of Wisconsin True Lacrosse, Hartland, Wisconsin
- Operations Director, Virginia Amateur Sports, “Subway Commonwealth Games”, Roanoke, Va.
- Asst. Director of Athletics for Marketing and Promotions, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Va.
- Public Relations Associate, Buffalo Communications, Ashburn, Va.
- Assistant Director of Recreation & Wellness – Intramural & Club Sports. Morrow, Ga
- Academic Advisor, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Va.
- Co-Coach/Trainer at Iron Tribe Fitness, Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Assistant General Manager, Prince William Golf Course, Manassas, Va.