The Visual and Performing Arts Scholarship recognizes student achievement and talent in the arts.
- You may compete in more than one category among:
- music (vocal or instrumental)
- theatre (acting, design, musical theatre, stage management, and technical)
- visual art (drawing, graphic design, painting, photography, and sculpture).
- Competition is by invitation only.
- All incoming freshman and transfer students are eligible to compete, regardless of major.
- Students may accept only one scholarship award.
- Scholarship awards of $3,000, $2,000, and $1,000.
These scholarships are in addition to any academic awards for which the student may qualify at the time of admission. Scholarships are renewable for three years beyond the freshman year. Each March, students are required to complete a brief form in order to receive the VPA scholarship award for the following academic year.
How to Apply
If you are selected to compete, you will receive an invitation via email. Invited participants must prepare for an audition/interview that will include a portfolio review (visual art), an interview with a faculty member and audition (music), or audition/interview (theatre).
Art Portfolio Review Information
You will review your portfolio with several University of Lynchburg art faculty members.
Music Audition Information
If your performance requires accompaniment, it is preferred that you bring your own accompanist or a high quality accompaniment tape. If you provide accompanist parts at the time of application submission, a staff accompanist will be available.
Theatre and Musical Theatre Audition/Interview Process
The adjudicators are University of Lynchburg theatre faculty members. Auditions must include the following:
Heath Pierce ’21