Fall Move In
If you’re a new, incoming student, you’ll be invited to move in on either Thursday, Aug. 17, or Friday, Aug. 18, so that you can attend Hornet Days Orientation. Continuing (returning) students will move in on either Saturday, Aug. 19, or Sunday, Aug. 20.
All students must complete their arrival checklist. This is an easy-to-follow checklist that allows for students to know what specific items need to be completed, such as finalizing payment arrangements or completing financial aid forms. If there are questions about specific tasks on the checklist, please contact the appropriate department/office.
The move-in dates for Fall 2023 are:
|10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
|First-year students, transfer students, and fall athletes
|10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
|10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
|10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Early Arrivals for Fall Opening
Some students may need to arrive earlier than the move-in dates due to assisting with move in (i.e. Movers and Shakers), participating in a University-sponsored program (i.e. Summer Transition Program, Bonner, Outdoor Leadership Program, etc.), or those that are international students. Most programs will communicate the early arrival information to students.
If you are not part of an early-arrival group, but are seeking to arrive earlier than the scheduled move-in dates for new or returning students, you must apply for permission by completing the early arrival/late application that will be available on the Housing Portal. Undergraduate students will be provided instructions and dates on completing the early arrival application. Approved requests for early arrival may result in a daily rate, to be assessed to your student account.
Approved early-arrival students will receive information on the date and time they are to arrive, and the location for where they will pick up their residential keys, via email, by the end of July.
Selecting an Arrival Date and Time
Starting the week of July 17, 2023, new and returning undergraduate students will receive an email from the Office of Housing and Residence Life asking them to sign up for an arrival date. Please note that this only applies to those students not approved for an early arrival.
Students will have the option to move into their residence based on their identified move-in dates. Each day will have move-in windows (example: 10 a.m. – noon, noon – 2 p.m., etc.). There will be a limit of the number of students that will be permitted to sign up for each shift. This will ensure that not all students are moving in on the same day or during the same two-hour windows. Students will only be permitted to move in during the two-hour time block on their selected move-in day (no exceptions). The move-in day/time selection process is on a first come, first served basis.
Only students with an active housing assignment will be able to complete this process. If you intend to live on campus for Fall 2023 and do not yet have an assignment, please contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life via email at email@example.com so that you can secure on campus housing.
To sign up for a move-in day:
- Students must log into their Housing Portal.
- On the main screen (students may need to scroll down), go to the “Assignments” box. Click on Fall 2023. *This will only be an option if a student has a housing assignment for Fall 2023.
- Under the Fall 2023 housing assignment, there will be a section that indicates Move In
- Students will select their move in date and time from the drop down menu. (Only available days will appear on the drop down menu).
- Then click on, “Update My Time.”
- Once you have a day/time selected, that time will appear as the drop down menu text.
- Your arrival date and time will now be displayed anytime you log into your Housing Portal.
You may log back in and update your arrival date and time based on the items listed in the drop-down menu.
Should a student fail to sign up for an arrival date and time by Aug. 15, 2023, they will be assigned an arrival date and time by the Office of Housing and Residence Life.
Move-in Day Process
All students should arrive through the main entrance of campus (off of Lakeside Drive) during their selected/assigned move-in day and time frame. Students will then be directed to their key pick-up locations. Directional signage will be placed around campus to assist students and their families. Please refer to the campus map for assistance.
Students arriving outside of the four designated move-in days will either pick up their keys through their early arrival sponsor, or will pick up their keys at Campus Safety and Security.
For first-year students moving into Montgomery and Tate Halls on August 17 August 18, there will be volunteers (Movers and Shakers) on site to assist with moving in items into your residential space. Returning students do not receive move-in assistance from volunteers on their respective move-in days.
There are no restrictions regarding the number of helpers students can bring with them to move-in. There are also no limitations on the time helpers can stay on campus. Students and helpers should plan to unload their vehicles quickly and then move their vehicles so that others can pull up to unload.
Students running late that may need to arrive on campus after the close of check in on each of the move-in dates should contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life at 434.544.8320 so that their key can be pulled and placed at Campus Safety and Security for pick-up.
- Review the checklist of what to bring (and what not to bring).
- Students may verify their housing assignment at any time by looking at their Housing Portal.
- University-issued furniture may not be removed from residential spaces. Even if a student brings their own furniture, the University furniture is to remain in the space. Please do not ask staff to remove University furniture.
- Loft kits will be available for pick up in or near your assigned residence. These are free and do not require sign-up in advance. Your Community Assistant and/or move-in volunteers can assist you to locate the closest loft kit pick-up location.
- Rented microfridges ordered by Aug. 1 will be delivered and set-up in residences prior to move-in. If you rented a unit from the Melvin Corporation and have any questions, please contact them directly at 800.525.7307. Units ordered after Aug. 1 will most likely be delivered the first week of classes.
- Only approved emotional support animals or service animals are permitted inside of campus residences at any time.
- To avoid break-ins, don’t leave your belongings inside parked cars, and always lock car doors.
Spring Move In
New, transfer, and other incoming students will pick up their residential key(s) on Thursday, Jan. 18, 2024, from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. in the first floor lobby of Drysdale Student Center. Students will then be directed to Campus Safety and Security so that they may pick up their University ID card. Students must utilize their University ID card to access the residence facilities.
More information regarding new student housing and check-in will be shared closer to the arrival date.