The University of Lynchburg does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth or related medical conditions including lactation), marital status, disability, age (40 and over), sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion in its programs and activities, including admission to and employment at the University of Lynchburg.
The following services are provided at the University of Lynchburg Health Center:
- Staff are Safe Space Ally trained and provide health care that takes into consideration the unique needs of LGBTQIA+ persons.
- Routine sexually transmitted infection testing and treatment. Testing for HIV, syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia and other infections is available.
- Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) to reduce the risk of acquiring HIV infection.
- Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) given within 72 hours of a sexual or drug encounter for those who may have been exposed to HIV.
- Provides gender-affirming care, services, and support for patients going through gender transition. We do not initiate hormone therapy, but we can assist the student interested in hormone therapy with referrals to specialty care.
The Offices of Case Management, Wellness and Health Promotion
- Offers a safe space to talk
- Provides connection to resources
- Provides mediation in relationship conflict
- Advocates for students on campus and in the community
- For Case Management, call 434.544.8839 or email email@example.com
The Spiritual Life Center
- The Spiritual Life Center is an inclusive, open, and affirming center, working with all students as they explore the spiritual, secular, and meaning-making aspects of life.
- Their office hosts Queer & Spiritual (a safe space for LGBTQIA+ students to explore spiritual and secular traditions), an LGBTQIA+ support group (to openly discuss personal concerns), and other religious or secular groups that are affirming.
- All chaplains are affirming, Safe Space trained, and can provide spiritual care or one-on-one confidential conversations.
- All counselors have gone through Safe Space Ally training and provide an inclusive, safe, and affirming environment for all students to engage in both individual and group counseling.
- Our counselors provide a confidential space for students to explore all areas of themselves while receiving non-judgemental culturally sensitive counseling services and unconditional positive regard.
Local Open and Affirming Faith Communities
For more information on places of worship, please contact the Spiritual Life Center
LGBTQIA+ and Transgender Care in Virginia
- Carilion Clinic Transgender Services
- Vishal D. Patel, M.D. Carilion Clinic, Roanoke, VA
- Virginia Name and Gender Change Guidance
- Equality Virginia
- Luis Silidzar, MD, Pediatric Endocrinology
Dr. Silidzar holds an endocrinology clinic at Virginia Baptist Hospital in Lynchburg on the 2nd and 3rd Wednesdays of each month.
- Lynchburg Health Department– provides STI testing and treatment
- Community Access Network– provides sexual health services
- Horizon Emergency Services
- Sexual Assault Response Program
- Call 888.947.7273 (24-hour hotline)
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- Call 988 or 800.273.TALK (8255)
- Crisis Text Line
- Text HOME to 741741 (free 24 hour help)