Graduate International Applicants
If you would like to apply for a graduate degree program, please submit:
- An online graduate degree-seeking application
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Personal essay (300-500 words)
- Financial Resources Verification
Letter should be written on the bank’s letterhead stationery and provide support for the certificate of finances. It should indicate how long the person has been a member of the bank and if he/she has adequate funds to support projected costs for attending Lynchburg College.
- Certificate of Finances
To obtain this document and costs for your specific graduate program, please contact the Office of Graduate Studies, 1.434.544.8383 or .
- Appropriate test scores if/as applicable to a specific graduate program (GRE or GMAT)
- TOEFL (minimum 80 Internet based test/550 paper based test) or IELTS (minimum 6.0)
TOEFL/IELTS Waiver Policy
Under certain circumstances, international applicants to graduate programs may request a waiver for the TOEFL when applying for admission. Lynchburg College, Office of Graduate Studies (OGS) will consider, on a case-by-case basis, TOEFL waiver requests from applicants who fall into one of the following categories:
- The applicant has completed at least three years full-time study at a recognized secondary school, college or university whose primary language of instruction is English; or
- The applicant has completed a bachelor’s degree or higher in an accredited US college or university; or
- The applicant has a current IELTS band score (less than 5 years old) of 6.5; or
- The applicant has completed nine semester hours of lower division English in an accredited US college or university, three of which must be in composition and three in literature; or
- The applicant has completed the highest level of intensive English study and is recommended for academic study by an English Language Institute recognized by Lynchburg College.
A TOEFL waiver is not automatic for any applicant. TOEFL waiver is dependent on individual program. To request a TOEFL waiver, the applicant must submit the following materials to the Office of Graduate Studies:
- A brief written request outlining the reasons why the OGS should grant a TOEFL waiver (including career goals and objectives) and indicating which of the above waiver categories applies.
- Copies of all academic transcripts for work completed at any college or university attended (if copies have not already been provided to the Office of Graduate Studies).
- Official transcripts
Lynchburg College requires international students to furnish verification of the Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Sciences equivalency of their academic record (e.g., through an international transcript assessment service). For students for which the verification of courses is not essential for admissions into, and course planning for, a graduate program, such an analysis only must confirm that the individual received the equivalent of an American four-year (BA/BS) degree from his/her home institution. In some instances (e.g., teacher licensure), the more detailed course-by-course analysis will be required. Some transcripts may be evaluated internally by Lynchburg College.
- Additional requirements for:
- MA in music candidates: professional portfolio
- MEd in counseling requirements and special information
- DPT applicants: special requirements and program prerequisites
- EdD applicants: special requirements/prerequisites
- Physician Assistant Medicine applicants: application requirements and program prerequisites
- Additional considerations for international students with children.
Degree admissions decisions are based on the careful consideration of all required admissions components. The focus of the admission committee’s review is on an evaluation of an individual’s likelihood of success in one of our graduate programs.
Graduate International Application Deadlines:
Fall Enrollment Deadline: June 1 (for the August to December semester)
Spring Enrollment Deadline: October 15 (for the January to May semester)
Summer Enrollment Deadline: March 1 (for May, June, and July summer terms)
Applications submitted after these deadlines will be considered based on space availability. Please keep in mind that international applications are time sensitive.