Health Promotion Major (BS) and Minor
We work with you one-on-one to customize your course plan based on your career goals, and our internships give you the crucial, practical experience that employers love.
You can also pursue certification as a Certified Health Education Specialist.
What will I study?
You will explore health care at a broad level by studying the physical, social, emotional, spiritual, mental, and environmental factors that influence the health of individuals and communities. Featured courses include Drugs and Behavior Management, Healthy Aspects of Aging, Foundations of Health Promotion, Nutrition, Human Disease, Medical Terminology, Global Health, Psychosocial Aspects of Health, and Dimensions and Foundations of Health and Wellness.Depending on your career interests, you will choose one of our 2 concentrations:
- Allied health concentration if you are interested in biomedical/technological fields (physical therapy, occupational therapy, physician assistant)
- Public/community concentration if you desire to pursue a career in a community setting focusing on health concerns such as substance abuse, tobacco use, obesity, cardiovascular rehabilitation, family violence, stress management, and sleep disorders
What kind of job can I get?
Our health promotion major prepares you for a job in areas such as:
- Corporate wellness programs
- Health educator
- Cardiovascular rehabilitation
- National and international health centers
- Global health initiative coordination and disaster relief
- Many students go to graduate schools to specialize in occupational therapy, physical therapy, physician assistant, public health, pharmacy, chiropractic medicine, sonography, dentistry, podiatry, dermatology, optometry, and radiology.
What are some of our graduates doing?
Many health promotion graduates work in the following areas:
- Health promotion and education programs
- Public health departments
- Mental health and addiction service organizations
- Government and health insurance agencies
- Corporate wellness/health coaching
- Community and advocacy organizations
- Allied health fields
Student and Alumni Spotlights
Tonya Price, DHEd, MS, RDN, CHES, CWP
Assistant Professor of Health Promotion
Chair of the Health Promotion Department
Director of the Master of Public Health Program