Tickets are not needed for Commencement. We invite anyone and everyone to come and celebrate their graduates.
If Shellenberger exercises are moved indoors because of bad weather, a small number of guest tickets will be given to graduating students for seating inside Turner Gymnasium. If needed, these tickets and other information will be issued at a later date.
Directions and Maps
Please visit the travel and maps section of our website for maps, transportation options, and more.
During Commencement, nearby accommodations may be difficult to find. Make sure to book well in advance. The Lynchburg Office of Economic Development and Tourism provides a comprehensive list of hotel and lodging options. Their website also includes a calendar of local events, information about historical places of interest, and dining and shopping options.
Please reference the Commencement parking map (PDF) for additional guidance.
Please refer to the following guidelines for events on May 19-20, 2022:
- All guests arriving on campus are asked to enter the main entrance on Lakeside Drive. Please proceed to any open parking spot as directed by the security stop point, dropping off is encouraged.
- Parking for individuals with disabilities or limited mobility is available close to Shellenberger Field. Guests should come to the main campus entrance off of Lakeside Drive. Security will provide directions to the parking area which is near Westover Hall. If the designated parking area is full, visitors can still drop off family members at this accessible entrance. They can then park elsewhere on campus.
- Signage and guides will be available at the entrance to Westover Hall on the first floor. Visitors will enter Westover Hall, use the elevator to the second floor and walk down a short hall to Shellenberger field. Seating on the field is not reserved. Accessible bathroom facilities will be available in both Westover Hall and Turner Gymnasium.
- There is moderate walking required to access the field and bathroom facilities.
- All Commencement seating on Shellenberger Field is in full sun. Umbrellas are not allowed. Indoor air-conditioned space is available in Turner Gymnasium. A large viewing screen is provided.
Student, Faculty, and Staff Parking
We would like to ask for your help to provide parking for guests attending Commencement activities on May 19-20. Doing this will help make the event more convenient for everyone.
- On May 19 and 20, all graduates will have to park their cars behind Southside housing. The areas are along Vernon, Brevard, Westwood, College, Lakewood, and McCausland streets; Peaksview Apartments and the townhouse area.
- Please remove all vehicles parked on campus before 6 p.m. on May 18, 2022.
- If you are attending or working Commencement activities on May 19 or May 20, you will need to park in specific areas. These are the commuter/gravel lot (corner of Westwood Street and College Street), the Nest parking lot, or behind any Southside housing.
- Disability/accessibility parking and drop-off area will be located in the parking area behind Freer Hall. All student vehicles must be removed from this area before 6 p.m. on May 18, 2022.
EMTs and a first-aid station will be available at both Commencement ceremonies. The Office of Campus Safety and Security and Lynchburg EMS will be available for help by calling 434.544.5555.
Commencement Firearm/Weapon Policy
If anyone sees anything suspicious, please do not hesitate to contact University security.