The Inclement Weather Plan applies only to Commencement ceremonies taking place outside on Shellenberger Field:
- Undergraduate Ceremony: Thursday, May 19, 2022 at 9 a.m.
- DMSc Hooding and Ceremony: Friday, May 20, 2022 at 9 a.m.
- Master’s Programs Ceremony: Friday, May 20, 2022 at 7 p.m.
The University tries to hold Commencement outside on Shellenberger Field, rain or shine. If there is severe weather (thunder, lightning, or other dangerous conditions), the exercises will be held inside Turner Gymnasium. Please reference the campus map (PDF) for building locations. Should the University implement the inclement weather plan:
- Guests will need tickets to attend the indoor ceremony. The graduating students will assign these tickets and send them to their guests ahead of time using our MarchingOrder software program.
- Additional viewing locations with a live video feed:
- Memorial Ballroom, Hall Campus Center
- Sydnor Performance Hall, Elliot & Rosel Schewel Hall
- Auditorium, Hopwood Hall
- West Room, Drysdale Student Center
If the weather on Commencement day is questionable, we will decide whether to stay outside on Shellenberger or move inside to Turner Gymnasium three hours before each ceremony.
In the case of the indoor ceremonies, there will be no processional of graduation candidates. Faculty will process as usual, then leave the gym. Only those on the platform/stage will stay.
Check-in locations will be in Turner Gymnasium for students. Faculty can check-in via Turner’s third floor (parking lot level), classrooms, and dance studio.
Undergraduate and DMSc Ceremonies
- Plan A: Rain delay. Commencement will remain outside on the Shellenberger and begin two hours later, at 11 a.m.
- Plan B: Move inside. Commencement will move inside to Turner Gymnasium and begin two hours later, at 11 a.m.
- Doors will open to guests at 10 a.m.
Master’s Programs Ceremony
- Move inside with no delay. Commencement will move inside Turner Gymnasium and begin on time.
- Doors will open to guests at 6 p.m.
Weather announcements/changes will be posted to the University’s website and social media channels.