Our health promotion major (BS) or minor is your gateway to the healthcare industry. Lynchburg College is the only private college in Virginia to offer this program, and 96% of our graduates are working full time or going to graduate school.
We work with you one-on-one to customize your course plan based on your career goals, and our internships give you the crucial, practical experience that employers love.
You can also pursue certification as a Certified Health Education Specialist.
What Will I Study?
You will explore health care at a broad level by studying the physical, social, emotional, spiritual, mental, and environmental factors that influence the health of individuals and communities. Featured courses include Drugs and Behavior Management, Healthy Aspects of Aging, Foundations of Health Promotion, Nutrition, Human Disease, Medical Terminology, Global Health, Psychosocial Aspects of Health, and Dimensions and Foundations of Health and Wellness.
Depending on your career interests, you will choose one of our 2 concentrations:
- Allied health concentration if you are interested in biomedical/technological fields (physical therapy, occupational therapy, physician assistant)
- Public/community concentration if you desire to pursue a career in a community setting focusing on health concerns such as substance abuse, tobacco use, obesity, cardiovascular rehabilitation, family violence, stress management, and sleep disorders
What Kind of Job Can I Get?
Our health promotion major prepares you for a job in areas such as:
- Corporate wellness programs
- Health educator
- Cardiovascular rehabilitation
- National and international health centers
- Global health initiative coordination and disaster relief
- Many students go to graduate schools to specialize in occupational therapy, physical therapy, physician assistant, public health, pharmacy, chiropractic medicine, sonography, dentistry, podiatry, dermatology, optometry, and radiology.
What Are Some of Our Graduates Doing?
- Students in Master of Public Health program at Lynchburg College
- Centers for Disease Control
- US Army combat medic
- Captain of Red Cross Disaster Relief Team, Lynchburg Region
- Director of Health and Wellness US Marine Corp
- Medical Health Specialist for CB Fleet Pharmaceuticals
- Community Director for March of Dimes
- Health Educator for: Humana, Department of Veteran Affairs, Virginia Department of Health, Bariatrics Physician Center, Presbyterian Homes and Family Services, Alan B. Pearson Cancer Center, Norfolk Southern Railroad
- Worksite Wellness Coordinator for: Halifax Regional Health Systems, T. Rowe Price, MedStar Health, Med Assurant Inovalon, Inc.
- Health Coach for the State of Maine Employees and other states
- Project Coordinator for “The ONE” Campaign – Global Health
- Environmental health specialist
- Research Coordinator for: Department of Veteran Affairs, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Transitional Care Liaison for Danville
- Carolina Air Care for UNC Hospitals
- Occupational therapist
- Diagnostic medical sonographer
- Police officer in the Narcotics Division
- Certified massage therapist
- Physician scribe
- Diabetes educator
- Fitness center owner