At the 1983 Commencement, the Lynchburg Alumni Association established the Carey Brewer Alumni Award to honor Dr. Carey Brewer for his distinguished career as President of Lynchburg College from February 1964 through July 1983.
The following statement was delivered at the 1983 Commencement:
This day, May 14, 1983, Lynchburg College inaugurates the Carey Brewer Alumni Award presented by the Lynchburg College Alumni Association. This Award recognizes young alumni who have made contributions to society so outstanding that they have brought distinction to themselves and to their alma mater.
These contributions to society by a young alumnus/alumna (living or deceased) that received his/her undergraduate degree within the last 15 years may include but not be limited to the following:
- Alma mater
It is appropriate that this award should bear the name of Carey Brewer, a member of the Lynchburg College class of 1949 and its seventh and youngest President, being 36 years old when he took office in 1964. Dr. Brewer’s interest in higher education extended far beyond the Lynchburg campus. He has often been a spokesperson for private higher education in the state and has served as President of the Virginia Foundation for Independent Colleges and the Council of Independent Colleges in Virginia.
Nominations for 2019 will be accepted through February 15, 2019.
- A recipient must have earned a Lynchburg undergraduate degree or, in special cases, have attended the school for at least two years and have graduated from another accredited college or university
- The nominee must have received his/her undergraduate degree within the last 15 years and be less than 40 years of age
- Current alumni board, alumni faculty and staff members are eligible
Criteria for selection:
- Each recipient of the Carey Brewer Alumni Award must have made an outstanding contribution to one or more of the areas of society listed above.
- The Carey Brewer Award Selection Committee and the Lynchburg Alumni Board need to be ever cognizant of the fact that the Carey Brewer Award is a high honor bestowed upon a young alumnus/alumna (living or deceased) of the school and constantly strive to present the Carey Brewer Award only to individuals who are thoroughly qualified and deserving of this honor.
Nominations: Accepted from all sources
Questions? Contact the Office of Alumni Relations.
* indicates a required field.