The Daura Museum of Art at the University of Lynchburg was established in 1974 as the University’s art Museum. It was dedicated in 1990 as the Daura Museum in memory of the Catalan-American painter Pierre Daura (1896-1976) and his wife, Louise Blair Daura. At its February 2020 meeting, the University’s Board of Trustees unanimously approved the renaming of the Daura Museum to the Daura Museum of Art. This came about as the Museum continues to grow and thrive as an active academic unit that supports the mission of University of Lynchburg by being a resource for teaching through the collection, care, interpretation, and exhibition of works of art, and to enrich the cultural life of University constituents.
The Daura Museum of Art operates under the auspices of the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs, University of Lynchburg. The Museum is a member of the American Alliance of Museums; International Council of Museums – University Museums and Collections Committee; Association of Academic Museums & Galleries; the Southeastern Museums Conference; Southeastern Art Museum Directors; SECAC (Southeast College Art Conference); Virginia Association of Museums, and Virginia Artisans Trail Network.