Giving shares of appreciated stock, bonds, mutual funds, and other securities is an especially tax-wise way to make a gift to the University of Lynchburg.
If you have held securities for more than one year that have increased in value since acquisition, you will receive a charitable tax deduction equal to the current value. This allows you to avoid paying capital gains tax you would owe on the gain in value if you sold the securities.
Gifts of securities are deductible for federal tax purposes up to a limit of 30 percent of your adjusted gross income.
For additional information about giving securities, please contact J. Michael Bonnette, Vice President for Advancement, at 434.544.8665.
How to Make a Gift of Stock
To give stock that is held by your broker or commercial banker:
- First, contact us at 800.621.1669 or 434.544.8907 so that we may ensure that your gift is handled to your specification and you receive proper credit and acknowledgement for it.
- Notify your broker or commercial banker that you are giving securities to University of Lynchburg.
- The stock should be transferred into the University’s account below. University of Lynchburg’s Tax ID number is 54-0505-922.
- Davenport & Company, LLC
- Contact: 800.306.2084
- DTC: 0443
- Account number: DA4003178
- Fax, mail, or email us a copy of the instructions you send to your broker. You may use our sample letter as a guide.
- Fax to: 434.544.8643, attn: J. Michael Bonnette
- Mail to: J. Michael Bonnette, University of Lynchburg, 1501 Lakeside Drive, Lynchburg, VA 24501
- Email to: J. Michael Bonnette (email@example.com)