Professor of Management and Business Administration
Chair of Management, Department of Human Resource Management
I have taught in the School of Business and Economics at University of Lynchburg since 2000, and teach courses in general business and management (strategic management, HRM, international management).
- 2006-present, Professor of Management, Business Policy, School of Business and Economics, University of Lynchburg, Lynchburg, Va.
- 2000-2006, Associate Professor of Management, Business Policy, School of Business and Economics, University of Lynchburg, Lynchburg, Va.
- 2004-present, School for International Relations, Ramkhamheung University, Bangkok, Thailand (visiting professor, summers)
- 2005-present, Adjunct, International School of Management, Paris, France (spring breaks)
- 2001-2010, Chair, Management Department, School of Business and Economics, University of Lynchburg, Lynchburg, Va.
- PhD, Management and Organization -School of Business, The University of Southern California, Los Angeles, Calif.
- MA, Applied Psychology – University of Missouri, St. Louis, Mo., Industrial-Organizational Psychology and Psychometrics
- MA, Developmental Psychology – The University of Akron, Akron, Ohio
- BA, General Psychology – The University of Akron, Akron, Ohio
- Spanish, San Miguel de Allende, Escuela de Bellas Artes, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, July 2003; and University of Lynchburg Spanish program, 2003
- Business Spanish, Department of Spanish, University of Lynchburg. Lynchburg, Va., 2004, 2006
- International Management Certification, School of Business, the University of South Carolina, Columbia, S.C., summer 1995
- Human Resource Management Certification, Personnel/Human Resource Management (PHR) Society for Human Resource Management, 2009
- Nathan, M. (2019). Holistic workplace wellbeing: Construct, circumstances, and strategic sustainability consequences, International Journal of Sustainable Strategic Management.
- Nathan, M. (2018). Convergence, context, confluence: Reconciling diverse perspectives on international strategic management, Journal of Economics and Business Research.
- Nathan, M.L. (2018). Keeper of the Fire: A Sustainability Mindset as an HRM Requisite. International Journal of Sustainable Strategic Management.
- Nathan, M.L. (2015). Strategic Teaching of Strategic Thinking via Threshold Concept Theory. Universal Journal of Management.
- Human Resource Management, edited book, McGraw-Hill.
- (2012). Examining crisis readiness: An analysis of managers in the retail industry. Journal of the North American Management Society, Spring/Summer, 6(3/4), 19-32.
- (2012). Sumitomo Bank. Golson Encyclopedia of Corporate Fraud and Scandals.
- (2010). Lighting tomorrow with today: Toward (strategic) sustainability management. International Journal of Sustainable Strategic Management, 2(1), 29-40.
- (2012). Leadership styles. Encyclopedia of Sports Management and Marketing.
- Leadership, Ethics, and their Circumstances. University of Lynchburg Edited Readings Book, University of Lynchburg Symposium Readings (LCSR).
- (2010). ‘Hunan Nonferrous Metals Company,’ in Globalization of Chinese Enterprise: A Guide to the Top 100 Companies in China, I. Alon and J. R. McIntyre, Editors, Palgrave-Macmillan.
- (2007). Nonprofit CEO’s: How their context impacts what, how, and why they learn. Nonprofit Management and Leadership Journal, 18(1), 19-39.
- (2008). How power dynamics impact the content and process of nonprofit CEO learning. Management Learning, 39(3), 245-269.
- (2004). Producing actionable knowledge: Applying Mezirow’s theory to the managerial learning context. Best Paper Proceedings, Academy of Management, Summer.
- (2004). How past remains prologue: A sense-making interpretation of the hindsight-foresight relationship. Futures, Elsevier Science, 36, 181-199.
- (2002, June). No pain, yet gain: Vicarious learning from crises in an inter-organizational field. Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 38(2), 245-266.
- (2002). Team sense-making: A mental model for navigating uncharted territories. Journal of Managerial Issues, 14(2), Summer, 198-217.
- (2001). Mindfulness matters. Central Review of Business, Winter, 27- 32.
- (2000). A role for the individual learner in achieving sustainable competitive advantage. Management Development Forum, 35-52.
- (2000). Interviews with well-practiced preachers: Perspectives on spirituality, leadership, and the workplace. Journal of Ministry Marketing and Management, 5(2), 35-50.
- (2000). The paradoxical nature of crisis. Review of Business, 21(3), 12-16.
- (2000). Timing is everything: The optimal time to learn from crises. Review of Business, 21(3), 31-36.
- (2000). Complex systems and sense-making teams: Conflicts, connectedness, and leadership. In Beyerlein, M. M., D. A. Johnson, and S. T. Beyerlein (Eds.), Advanced Concepts in Work Teams, Stamford, Connecticut: JAI Press, 219-238.
- (1999). Crisis causation re-framed. Central Review of Business, 29-35.
- (1998). Using tough times to competitive advantage. Review of Business, 19(2), 4-9.
- (1998). The nonprofit executive as chief learning officer. Nonprofit World Journal, 16(2), March/April, 39-41.
- (1997). Turning threat into opportunity. International Association of Management Journal, 9(1), 50-55.
- (1997). Mavericks, visionaries, protectors, and sages: Towards cognitive diversity in organizational decision making. Journal of Business Strategies, 14(2), Fall, 106-125.
Editorial Review Boards
- Editorial Review Board, Academy of Management Learning and Education Journal, 2010 to present
- Editorial Review Board, Society for the Advancement of Management’s Advanced Management Journal, 2002-forward
- Associate Editor, Journal of Management Education, 2012 forward
- Editorial Review Board, Review of Business., 2001 forward
- Editorial Review Board, International Journal of Doctoral Studies
- Interdisciplinary Journal of Knowledge and Learning, 2013 forward
- Editorial Review Board, Sage Open, 2014 forward
- Scholarly Excellence Award, Business and Economics society International Conference, Summer, 2017.
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development, Academy of Management, 2014, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development, Academy of Management, 2013, Boston, Mass.
- Irwin/McGraw-Hill Best Paper Award, North American Management Society, 2011, Chicago, Ill.
- James A. Huston Award for Excellence in Scholarship, University of Lynchburg, 2010
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development, Academy of Management, Montreal, Canada, 2010
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development, Academy of Management, Anaheim, Calif., 2008
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development, Academy of Management, Atlanta, Ga., 2006
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development Division, National Academy of Management, Hawaii, 2005
- Teaching Grant, “The Case Method and its Variations,” University of Lynchburg, 2005
- IBM Center for the Business of Government, Research Fellowship, Washington, D.C., 2005
- Scholar Leave Award (competitive), ‘Trans-Organizational Crisis Management: A Complement of Three Organizational Studies Pertaining to the International AIDS Pandemic,’’ University of Lynchburg, Fall, 2005
- Fulbright Senior Specialist, Crisis Management, 2005
- Best Paper Award, Management Education and Development Division, Academy of Management, New Orleans, La., 2004
- Fulbright-Hays Fellowship, Summer 2004, Peoples Republic of China
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development Division, Academy of Management, New Orleans, La., 2004
- Best Paper Proceedings, Academy of Management, New Orleans, La., 2004
- Best Reviewer Award, International Management Division, Academy of Management, Seattle, Wash., 2003
- Best Symposium Award, Academy of Management, Management Education Division, August, 2003
- University of Lynchburg Summer Research Grant, 2003
- Academy of Management Service Learning Fellow, Pew Charitable Trust, 2002-2003
- Mednick Memorial Fellowship, 2001, Virginia Federation of Independent Colleges (VFIC)
- Research Grant, University of Lynchburg Center for Community and Social Justice, 2002
- Regional Fulbright Alumni Society, elected to Secretary 2006; president 2009-2010
- Fulbright Society’s International Education Task Force
- The Asia Society
- Academy of Management
- Strategic Management Society
Local Boards of Directors
- Court Appointed Special Advocates, CASA of South Central Virginia, 2008-present
- Lynchburg Symphony Orchestra, 2013-present
- James River Council for Arts and Humanities, 2008-present
School of Business/Economics Service
- Chair, Management Department, 2001-present, School of Business and Economics, University of Lynchburg
- Chair, Business Administration, 2001-2010, School of Business and Economics, University of Lynchburg
Research and Consulting Expertise
- Crisis management
- Organizational and trans-organizational learning; individual as learner (adult learner); managerial learning
- Strategic management and planning: for profit, nonprofit, and sustainable strategic management
- Strategic decision processes: strategic motives, strategic decision making
- Strategic human resource management: international human resource management, holistic workplace well-being
- Leadership and ethical leadership practice
- Cellist, University of Lynchburg Wind Symphony and Orchestra
- Avid world traveler
- Spanish language enthusiast
- Cactus and succulent aficionado