In order to apply for a social security number, an F visa holder must first have an offer of employment. Click on the highlighted text for more information on Social Security Numbers for Noncitizens.
After You Have Been Offered Employment
- If you applied for an on-campus job, the Student Employment Coordinator will process your application and provide you with an employment offer letter
- Once you have the employment offer letter, email the International Student Advisor to set up an appointment and provide the advisor with a copy of your employment offer letter
Things to Do Before Going to Social Security
- Print off your I-94
- Complete the Social Security Application – Applications can be completed online and printed, or you can print it and fill it in by hand.
Take With You to the Social Security Office
When you go to the Social Security Office, you will need the following items:
- Social Security Application
- Letter of employment verification that the International Student Advisor will write once you provide a copy of your employment offer letter
Lynchburg Social Security Office Information (You will need to enter the zip code 24501)