Internships provide students with practical work-related experience under the supervision of a qualified professional (site supervisor) and a faculty supervisor responsible for academic quality and assigning the final grade. After completing the application process, rising juniors and seniors with a 2.25 overall GPA (or higher depending on major) can earn one to twelve credit hours. (Generally only twelve internship credits may count toward graduation.) Approval by the University of Lynchburg internship director and faculty supervisor is required prior to starting the internship.
Process for Obtaining Internships:
- Locate an internship site, search online using Handshake, or contact the Career and Professionalism Center or your academic advisor for assistance in locating a site.
- Discuss the internship with your academic advisor.
- Obtain internship forms online from the For-credit Internship Forms page.
- Turn in completed forms to the internship director for approval.
- After approval (to include meeting the University’s requirements), the internship director will register you for the summer internship.
- For credit bearing internships during the summer/winter terms, students will be billed for tuition per credit hour.
Students must pay tuition for credits earned through internships including those earned during the summer and winter terms. Summer and winter term students must pay by the credit hour and a tuition bill will be sent once the internship experience has been registered.
Deadline for Summer Internships
Internship forms approved by faculty, site supervisor, and internship coordinator must be submitted by June 30, 2023. Unless approval for an extended internship is given by the Associate Dean, internships should be completed by Aug. 4, 2023.
Special Internship Opportunities
University of Lynchburg has relationships with several institutions to place students with government agencies, political organizations, and embassies. Contact the Career and Professionalism Center for details and the various organization internship deadlines.
University of Lynchburg Internship Program has relationships with several organizations providing opportunities for students to intern in other countries. Contact the Career and Professionalism Center for complete details.