- While on Post-Completion OPT, you are still on an F-1 student visa and you are still a University of Lynchburg student for visa purposes. You are responsible for communicating the following information to the Center for Global Education during your time of OPT:
- You must submit a copy of your EAD card to the Center for Global Education as soon as it arrives
- Change of local and international addresses
- Beginning and end date of all jobs
- Name of the employer(s), mailing address, supervisor name, and supervisor’s phone number
- Type of employment and brief description of how the work is related to your program of study
- If you have changed your visa status, you must provide the Center for Global Education the copies of your Approval Notice from USCIS indicating your new visa status or your I-94 card and visa stamp indicating the new visa status. This must be done within 10 days of receiving the documents from USCIS or re-entering the US. The Center for Global Education will then COMPLETE your SEVIS record.
- Finally, when you have completed your OPT or if you leave the US and do not intend to return to use the remainder of your OPT, please email the Center for Global Education within 10 days of leaving the US or finishing OPT.
Notifying the Center for Global Education of Employer Information
The Center for Global Education is required to update SEVIS with your employer information. You need to inform the Center for Global Education of your employer name, physical address, employment start date and phone number within 10 days of beginning employment on OPT. You will also need to notify the Center for Global Education when you terminate employment or if you change your employer.
If you are graduating, it is important to think about health insurance because you will no longer be eligible for the student health insurance plan after mid-August of your graduation year. If your employer will not be providing you with coverage, please contact the Center for Global Education for a list of optional health insurance companies. We recommend that you review rates and plans carefully to ensure your full knowledge of the coverage.
17-Month Extension of OPT for F-1 Students who have Obtained a STEM Degree
Regulations allow F-1 students who have received a degree in the U.S. in a STEM field (sciences, technology, engineering and mathematics) to obtain an extension of their existing post-completion OPT for up to 17 months, for a maximum period of post-completion OPT of 29 months. The extension is available only to students who are employed or will be employed by an E-verify employer in good standing with the USCIS, and who have obtained a degree in a “STEM” field – Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. Note: Only one 17-month extension period is allowed. (i.e. If you apply for a 17-month OPT extension after completing an M.S. degree in a STEM field, you will not qualify for another 17-month extension of OPT after completing a Ph.D. in a STEM field.) Students receiving the 17-month OPT extension may not accumulate an aggregate of 120 days of unemployment during any period of post-completion OPT (including the initial 12-month period, and the 17-month extension period).