The University of Lynchburg has a single-stream recycling program. This means that you can put all acceptable materials in one bin.
All items are taken to Faculty Drive and collected by a recycling firm that sorts the items.
What to Recycle
- Aluminum and metal cans.
- Glass bottles and jars.
- #1 or #2 plastic such as bottles (detergent, lotion, shampoo) or containers (butter, takeout, yogurt).
- Mixed paper such as loose leaf or newspaper.
- Cardboard that’s broken down and free of grease stains.
- If it isn’t clean, they won’t accept it!
- Plastic bags such as grocery, chip, or Ziploc bags.
- Plastic cups, containers, plates, utensils or straws. Please consider using reusable alternatives.
- Soft plastics such as candy wrappers.
- Juice and milk cartons.
- Styrofoam such as containers or cups.
- Electronics such as lightbulbs, cords, or batteries.
- Napkins, paper towels, or tissues.
- Broken glass or ceramics.
- Dirty or messy containers such as those containing leftovers, food scraps or peels.
- When in doubt, throw it out!
Need a recycling bin?
If you see a spot on campus that needs a recycling bin or want to request one at your campus house, please fill out this form.
Lindsey Van Zile
Graduate Assistant for Campus Sustainability