A number of graduate assistantships are available to degree seeking graduate students. Assistantships are very competitive, and it’s best to apply early. Selection of GAs begins annually in February. For full details, see the list of available graduate assistantships.
- Complete the online application for graduate assistantship. Graduates who have been accepted into degree seeking programs will be given first priority.
- Review the available graduate assistantships.
- Once you have reviewed the available assistantships, send the Student Employment Coordinator an email with the title and department of the position(s) of interest. List all options that would provide an applicable learning experience.
- The Student Employment Coordinator will send an email informing the candidate and supervisor of the interest. Supervisors hiring in specific program areas will contact candidates if they are interested in interviewing; however, candidates may call supervisors directly to learn more about opportunities.
- Once selected for an assistantship, the program area makes a recommendation to the Dean of Graduate Studies.
- After the recommendation has been approved for processing, the candidate will be issued a contract and job description.
- Contact the Student Employment Office at 434.544.8142 to schedule an appointment to complete the I-9, direct deposit, and tax forms.
- If you have any questions regarding your assistantship, please contact the program area in which the assistantship is located.
Room and Board
Room and board compensation is offered to those GAs who have “live in” responsibilities supervising on-campus student life. Room and board options are currently only offered for Student Development GAs and one Academic GA position.
The room portion offers a room or apartment for a full year. The board portion offers the Unlimited meal plan for the academic year (August through May).
The tuition remission benefit applies to master’s degree programs only.
Contact Desmond Mosby, Student Employment Coordinator, at 434.544.8142 or .