Professor of Management and Business Administration
Chair, Department of Human Resource Management
I have taught in the School of Business and Economics at Lynchburg College since 2000, and teach courses in general business and management (strategic management, HRM, international management). Together, management students and I co-founded the Management Consulting Group (MCG) several years ago. We work with organizations in the local community to help them improve and enhance their organizational effectiveness. Check us out on Facebook!
- 2006-present: Professor of Management, Business Policy, School of Business and Economics, Lynchburg College, Lynchburg, Va.
- 2000-2006: Associate Professor of Management, Business Policy, School of Business and Economics, Lynchburg College, Lynchburg, Va.
- 2004-present: School for International Relations, Ramkhamheung University, Bangkok, Thailand (visiting professor, summers)
- 2005-present: Adjunct, International School of Management, Paris, France (spring breaks)
- 2001-2010: Chair, Management Department, School of Business and Economics, Lynchburg College, Lynchburg, Va.
- PhD, Management and Organization
School of Business, The University of Southern California, Los Angeles, Calif.
- MA, Applied Psychology
University of Missouri, St. Louis, Mo., Industrial-Organizational Psychology and Psychometrics
- MA, Developmental Psychology
The University of Akron, Akron, Ohio
- BA, General Psychology
The University of Akron, Akron, Ohio
- Spanish, San Miguel de Allende, Escuela de Bellas Artes, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, July 2003; and Lynchburg College Spanish program, 2003
- Business Spanish, Department of Spanish, Lynchburg College. Lynchburg, Va., 2004, 2006
- International Management Certification, School of Business, the University of South Carolina, Columbia, S.C., summer 1995
- Human Resource Management Certification, Personnel/Human Resource Management (PHR) Society for Human Resource Management, 2009
Research and Consulting Expertise
- Crisis management
- Organizational and trans-organizational learning; individual as learner (adult learner); managerial learning
- Strategic management and planning – for profit, nonprofit
- Strategic decision processes (strategic motives, strategic decision making)
- Strategic human resource management; international human resource management
- Leadership and ethical leadership practice
Selected Awards and Grants
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development, Academy of Management, 2014, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development, Academy of Management, 2013, Boston, Mass.
- Irwin/McGraw-Hill Best Paper Award, North American Management Society, 2011, Chicago, Ill.
- James A. Huston Award for Excellence in Scholarship, Lynchburg College, 2010
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development, Academy of Management, Montreal, Canada, 2010
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development, Academy of Management, Anaheim, Calif., 2008
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development, Academy of Management, Atlanta, Ga., 2006
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development Division, National Academy of Management, Hawaii, 2005
- Teaching Grant, “The Case Method and its Variations,” Lynchburg College, 2005
- IBM Center for the Business of Government, Research Fellowship, Washington, D.C., 2005
- Scholar Leave Award (competitive), ‘Trans-Organizational Crisis Management: A Complement of Three Organizational Studies Pertaining to the International AIDS Pandemic,’’ Lynchburg College, Fall, 2005
- Fulbright Senior Specialist, Crisis Management, 2005
- Best Paper Award, Management Education and Development Division, Academy of Management, New Orleans, La., 2004
- Fulbright-Hays Fellowship, Summer 2004, Peoples Republic of China
- Best Reviewer Award, Management Education and Development Division, Academy of Management, New Orleans, La., 2004
- Best Paper Proceedings, Academy of Management, New Orleans, La., 2004
- Best Reviewer Award, International Management Division, Academy of Management, Seattle, Wash., 2003
- Best Symposium Award, Academy of Management, Management Education Division, August, 2003
- Lynchburg College Summer Research Grant, 2003
- Academy of Management Service Learning Fellow, Pew Charitable Trust, 2002-2003
- Mednick Memorial Fellowship, 2001, Virginia Federation of Independent Colleges (VFIC)
- Research Grant, Lynchburg College Center for Community and Social Justice, 2002
- Human Resource Management, edited book, McGraw-Hill, 2014.
- ‘Congruence, context, confluence: Reconciling diverse perspectives on international strategic management,’ Global Journal of Strategies and Governance, 2013, 19, 14-35.
- ‘Examining crisis readiness: An analysis of managers in the retail industry,’ Journal of the North American Management Society, Spring/Summer, 2012, 6, 3\4, 19-32.
- ‘Sumitomo Bank’, Golson Encyclopedia of Corporate Fraud and Scandals, 2012.
- ‘Lighting tomorrow with today: Toward (strategic) sustainability management,’ International Journal of Sustainable Strategic Management, 2010, 2, 1, 29-40.
- ‘Leadership styles,’ in Encyclopedia of Sports Management and Marketing, 2010.
- Leadership, Ethics, and their Circumstances, Lynchburg College Edited Readings Book, Lynchburg College Symposium Readings (LCSR), 2010.
- ‘Hunan Nonferrous Metals Company,’ in Globalization of Chinese Enterprise: A Guide to the Top 100 Companies in China, I. Alon and J. R. McIntyre, Editors, Palgrave-Macmillan.
- ‘Nonprofit CEO’s: How their context impacts what, how, and why they learn,’ Nonprofit Management and Leadership Journal, 2007, 18, 1, Autumn, 19-39.
- ‘How power dynamics impact the content and process of nonprofit CEO learning,’ Management Learning, 39, 3, 2008, 245-269.
- ‘Producing actionable knowledge: Applying Mezirow’s theory to the managerial learning context,’ Best Paper Proceedings, Academy of Management, Summer, 2004.
- How past remains prologue: A sense-making interpretation of the hindsight-foresight relationship, Futures, Elsevier Science, 2004, 36, 181-199.
- No pain, yet gain: Vicarious learning from crises in an inter-organizational field, Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 2002, Vol. 38, No. 2, June, 245-266.
- Team sense-making: A mental model for navigating uncharted territories, Journal of Managerial Issues. 2002, Vol. 14, 2, Summer, 198-217.
- Mindfulness matters, 2001, Central Review of Business. Winter, 27- 32.
- A role for the individual learner in achieving sustainable competitive advantage,’ Management Development Forum, 2000, 35-52.
- Interviews with well-practiced preachers: Perspectives on spirituality, leadership, and the workplace, Journal of Ministry Marketing and Management, 2000, Vol. 5, 2, 35-50.
- The paradoxical nature of crisis, Review of Business, 2000, 21, 3, 12-16.
- Timing is everything: The optimal time to learn from crises, Review of Business, 2000, 21, 3, 31-36.
- Complex systems and sense-making teams: Conflicts, connectedness, and leadership, In Beyerlein, M. M., D. A. Johnson, and S. T. Beyerlein (Eds.), Advanced Concepts in Work Teams, 2000, Stamford, Connecticut: JAI Press, 219-238.
- Crisis causation re-framed, Central Review of Business, 1999, 29-35.
- Using tough times to competitive advantage, Review of Business, 1998, 19, 2. 4-9.
- The nonprofit executive as chief learning officer, Nonprofit World Journal, 1998, 16, 2, March/April, 39-41.
- Turning threat into opportunity, International Association of Management Journal, 1997, 9, 1, 50-55.
- Mavericks, visionaries, protectors, and sages: Towards cognitive diversity in organizational decision making,’ Journal of Business Strategies, 1997, 14, 2, Fall, 106-125.
Editorial Review Boards
- Editorial Review Board, Academy of Management Learning and Education Journal, 2010 to present
- Editorial Review Board, Society for the Advancement of Management’s Advanced Management Journal, 2002-forward
- Associate Editor, Journal of Management Education, 2012 forward
- Editorial Review Board, Review of Business., 2001 forward
- Editorial Review Board, International Journal of Doctoral Studies
- Interdisciplinary Journal of Knowledge and Learning, 2013 forward
- Editorial Review Board, Sage Open, 2014 forward
Local Boards of Directors
- Court Appointed Special Advocates, CASA of South Central Virginia, 2008-present
- Lynchburg Symphony Orchestra, 2013-present
- James River Council for Arts and Humanities, 2008-present
Professional Organizational Memberships
- Regional Fulbright Alumni Society, elected to Secretary 2006; president 2009-2010
- Fulbright Society’s International Education Task Force
- The Asia Society
- Academy of Management
- Strategic Management Society
School of Business/Economics Service
- Chair, Business Administration, 2001-2010, School of Business and Economics, Lynchburg College
- Chair, Management Department, 2001-2010, School of Business and Economics, Lynchburg College
- Cellist, Bedford Community Orchestra
- Avid world traveler
- Spanish language enthusiast