University of Lynchburg’s Hopwood Hall has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. A ceremony will be held in honor of the new designation at 11:15 a.m. on Saturday, April 21. The event will be held outdoors, in front of Hopwood Hall. In case of inclement weather, it will move indoors to Hopwood Auditorium. The public is invited to attend.
The following individuals will speak during the ceremony: Lynchburg Mayor Joan Foster, University of Lynchburg President Dr. Kenneth Garren, history professors Dr. Clifton Potter ’62 and Dr. Dorothy “Bundy” Turner Potter ’64, and S. Allen Chambers, author of “Lynchburg: An Architectural History.”
Hopwood Hall is named for University of Lynchburg founders Josephus Hopwood and Sarah Eleanor LaRue Hopwood. It was designed and built by architect Edward Graham Frye in 1909. The Beaux-Arts, neoclassical-style structure was placed on the Virginia Landmarks Register by the Virginia Department of Historic Resources in 2017.
The upcoming ceremony is being held in conjunction with the Westover Alumni Weekend, a gathering of alumni from University of Lynchburg’s Westover Honors program.