Hopwood Hall, University of Lynchburg’s most historic classroom building, has earned a spot on the Virginia Landmark Register.
The designation honors the history and preservation of the architectural icon. By virtue of its spot on the list of Virginia historic landmarks, Hopwood Hall is eligible for consideration by the National Register of Historic Places.
When Josephus and Sarah Hopwood started their college in Lynchburg, the campus’s only building was Westover Hall, a former resort hotel, which they modified to serve multiple purposes. In 1909, the College built Hopwood Hall (originally named the Administration Building, but renamed in honor of the founders in 1953). That same year, a grant from steel industrialist Andrew Carnegie was used to build Carnegie Hall, a men’s dormitory.
Hopwood Hall was designed by architect Edward G. Frye in a Beaux Arts style, with features inspired by both Roman and Greek architecture.
History professors Dr. Clifton Potter ’62 and Dr. Dorothy “Bundy” Turner Potter ’64, history professors, nominated Hopwood Hall for the historic designation.