Debate and Public Speaking
June 12-16, 2023 | Ages: 12-18
Local middle and high school students are invited to attend Debate and Public Speaking Summer Camp.
Spend five days with us, and you will:
- Hone your public speaking and analytical skills with certified instruction and coaching.
- Learn presentation and critical skills that will help you become a more outspoken and confident student in the classroom.
- Acquire debate and forensic (public speaking) fundamentals, including instruction and the development of persuasive, informative, declamation, single and duo interpretive, prose, poetry, after-dinner, impromptu, extemporaneous, and parliamentary debate speaking.
- Enjoy working with our award-winning collegiate team!
Best of all, leave with the confidence and ability to present yourself and your ideas in any public situation.
Master Classes are designed for students desiring competition and are included in camp or can be attended separately.
- Five-day camp: $285 (includes all master classes, lunch, materials, and T-shirt)
- Individual master classes: $85 (includes lunch, materials, and T-shirt)
Paula Youra, PhD
Professor of Communication Studies
Speech and Debate Coach
Summer Scholars: Art
July 16-19, 2023 | Ages: Rising 9th-12th graders
Got an itch to create that you just can’t scratch?
The University of Lynchburg’s summer art program is a chance for chronically creative high school students to broaden their skill set and develop their artistic process. At this camp, Lynchburg art professors will take you on an in-depth guided tour through uniquely expressive media — with plenty of room for creative play! Learn more about art history and theory while getting a feel for new techniques, and finish off the camp by picking your favorite project for an exhibition and reception open to families.
Here’s some of what you’ll explore and learn about:
- Pottery wheel technique and ceramics
- Graphic design using Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Block printing
- Zine creation
- Photography and photo processing techniques
This camp will give you a glimpse into artistic and creative pathways through college and careers, or how to incorporate those skills and theories into other disciplines. By the end, you’ll be taking home armfuls of inspiring work that’ll be sure to keep those juices flowing!
- Day Camp: $350 (includes T-shirt and daily lunch)
- Residential Camp: $495 (includes T-shirt and all meals)
Register by June 9.
Executive Director of Admissions
Summer Scholars: Health Sciences
July 25-30, 2023 | Ages: Rising 9th-12th graders
Get the pulse on health science professions this summer!
If you’re a rising high school student and have considered studying health sciences, then you should come to the University of Lynchburg’s summer college prep program! This weeklong camp will give you a chance to explore different health-related fields, like being a physician assistant (PA), working in public health, or becoming an athletic trainer or physical therapist. You’ll learn about what goes into nursing, exercise physiology, and biomedical sciences. Plus, you’ll get a feel for campus life at Lynchburg with some other student activities!
You’ll try out:
- Providing care to a trauma patient
- Performing functional movement analyses
- Advocating for healthy nutrition for all ages and making healthy snacks
- Exploring anatomy and physiology through dissection, cadavers, and technology
- Practicing first aid, CPR, and athletic training skills
- Assessing vital signs and providing clinical care in the patient simulation lab
- Analyzing how the brain and behavior interact through neuroanatomy
Get hands-on experience in these program areas:
- Exercise physiology
- Public health/health promotion
- Athletic training
- PA medicine
- Physical therapy
- Health and recreation law
- Day Camp: $495 (includes T-shirt and daily lunch)
- Residential Camp: $925 (includes T-shirt and all meals)
Register by June 18.
Executive Director of Admissions