Welcome to the Lynchburg family! As a new transfer student, this is a very exciting time for you and we’re excited to welcome you into the LC community. We offer inclusive programs to help support and guide all transfer students.
There are lots of activities and services available to help. Here are a few highlights:
- Transfer Student Orientation and Registration (SOAR)
- Transfer Hornet Days
- Transfer Year Engagement
- Tau Sigma Academic Honor Society
Check out the sections below to learn about these opportunities.
We look forward to seeing you on campus!
Transfer SOAR is a great time to get acquainted with University of Lynchburg! Transfer SOAR is required for all new transfer students. This event provides students the opportunities to have a successful transition to University of Lynchburg both academically and socially.
At Transfer SOAR, you will:
- Meet your Link Leader (current LC students who are successful transfer students — they will assist you in your transition during Transfer SOAR and Hornet Day experiences.)
- Learn about campus resources
- Learn about important LC student services
We encourage parents and guest to attend Transfer SOAR, as there is programming specifically for parents and guests. They will meet college officials, learn about campus services, and understand more about the University of Lynchburg community.
If you have any questions or need more information, please contact SOAR Staff at 434.544.8339 or .
Transfer Hornet Days occur before classes begin, and are designed to help students get connected to the campus community through programs that explore campus life, community service, and the roles and values of being a University of Lynchburg student. Transfer Hornet Days are required for new transfer students.
Examples of Hornet Days break-out sessions:
- Explore the World: Learn about study abroad and travel experiences for academic credit
- Internships at LC: This session will focus on the internship process at LC
- Fraternity and Sorority Life at LC: Learn about Greek Life and the recruitment process at LC
- Drive-In and Stay: You’ll learn all about the commuter student services and resources available
You’ll be able to see the full list of sessions when you come to campus in August. It’s going to be a great year!
At Lynchburg, we provide additional programming for our transfer students beyond Transfer SOAR and Hornet Days. These events are designed to get you engaged with University of Lynchburg, both academically and socially.
- Link Dinners: Your chance to reconnect with students from Transfer SOAR and Hornet Days, while hearing speakers talk about a wide range of topics from time management and leadership, to academic success.
- Link Socials: A great time for students to connect and learn about activities both on and off campus. In October we have an annual trip to Scaremare, a local haunted house in Lynchburg, and trips to other locations around the city.
- Link Service Events: Provide an opportunity for students to give back to the local community. We’ve held service events at the Lynchburg Humane Society and Lynchburg Grows, just to name a few.
For information about our events, make sure to check your email or the LC Campus Events App.
Tau Sigma National Honor Society is an academic honor society designed specifically to recognize and promote the academic success and involvement of transfer students. Each year we do one induction ceremony in the Spring semester for eligible students who accept the invitation to join Tau Sigma National Honor Society.
To be invited to join Tau Sigma you must maintain a minimum academic average of a 3.5 on a 4.0 scale in your first semester at University of Lynchburg. You must have also completed at least one full year of academic credits at your previous institution. Eligibility is limited to the first term of enrollment at University of Lynchburg. You will get an email from the chapter advisor in late January letting you know if you are eligible for membership.
If you would like to learn more about Tau Sigma National Honor Society, please visit www.tausigmanhs.org to learn more.