The Commonwealth of Virginia prohibits a person under age 21 from attempting to purchase, purchasing, or possessing any tobacco product, nicotine vapor product, or alternative nicotine product. (Virginia law provides an exception for active duty military personnel age 18 or older.) Similarly, the Commonwealth of Virginia prohibits selling or distributing any tobacco product, nicotine vapor product, or alternative nicotine product to a person under age 21, as well as purchasing such products for an individual under age 21.
The University of Lynchburg expects all students and employees of the University to abide by Virginia law whether on campus or off campus in the Commonwealth. Individuals age 21 or older are permitted to possess and use tobacco and nicotine products in ways consistent with the section of this policy titled “Smoking” and with other University policies.
Products made of tobacco, containing nicotine, or used to consume nicotine that are prohibited for individuals under age 21 include but are not limited to:
- Cigarettes and cigars;
- Pipe tobacco;
- Chewing tobacco;
- Nicotine in a solution or other form intended for use with an electronic smoking device;
- Electronic smoking devices, such as e-cigarettes, Juuls, personal vaporizers, or other devices associated with “vaping;” and
- Rolling papers.
Smoking includes but is not limited to the use of cigarettes, cigars, pipes, bidis, e-cigarettes, Juuls, personal vaporizers, or other devices associated with “vaping.”
Reflective of Virginia law, persons under age 21 are prohibited from smoking in any indoor or outdoor areas of the University of Lynchburg.
For individuals age 21 or older, smoking of any nature is prohibited inside all University of Lynchburg facilities and in all outdoor areas of the University, with the exception of designated areas specified by the University.
Regardless of one’s age, smoking of any nature is prohibited in all University vehicles, regardless of location. Also regardless of one’s age, possession or use of marijuana or of a hookah is prohibited in all indoor and outdoor areas of the University.
Outdoor locations of the University where smoking is permitted by individuals age 21 or older are limited to:
- Areas designated by a picnic table with a large umbrella – Smoking is permitted at these designated tables and within five feet of the table or the associated ash receptacle.
- Porches and yards immediately adjacent to University houses, townhouses, and apartments used as student residences.
- Inside a vehicle as permitted by the vehicle owner; windows and doors must be closed to contain smoke.
Outdoor locations of the University where smoking is permitted by individuals age 21 or older may be changed at the discretion of the University.
Littering of cigarette butts and other materials is prohibited.
Last updated 8/4/2022.