Similarly, as you take better care of your own physical needs, you ensure greater physical wellness. To achieve optimum physical wellness, you need to make choices that help you avoid illness and injuries. The decisions you make now and the habits you develop over a lifetime will largely determine the length and quality of your life.
- Eating well
- Avoiding harmful habits
- Practicing safer sex
- Recognizing symptoms of disease
- Getting regular checkups
- Avoiding injuries
- Dining services offers a nutrition calculator as well as color-coded menu tags that categorize food items that should be eaten regularly, in moderation, or sparingly.
- The Health Center offers nutrition counseling. Get help with weight gain/loss, food allergies, eating disorders, special diets, medical disorders, diabetes, or deciding what is healthy.
- The fitness center features treadmills, elliptical machines, weight training equipment, free weights, and more. It may be used by Lynchburg students, faculty, and staff.
- Join one of the University’s 9 men’s, 10 women’s, or 2 coed championship teams. Lynchburg is a member of the Division III Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC).
- Club sport teams provide student-athletes with greater flexibility than varsity team sports. Challenge yourself and compete against club teams from other colleges or universities on a local, regional, and national level.
- Build confidence and try something new through intramural sports.
Avoiding Harmful Habits
- Hornet Wellness Ambassadors help students make positive personal choices through education about decisions and consequences. Participate in programs throughout the year, or become a peer educator.
- Student handbook and policies
- Honor code
- Smoking cessation resources
Practicing Safer Sex
- Condoms are available for FREE at the Health Center and the Wellness House. We also offer an option to anonymously request safe sex items by completing the Love box Form.
You can select from regular condoms, latex free condoms, female condoms or dental dams, mints, lube and chapstick.
Items will be sent to your campus box within 2-3 business days.
- The Health Center offers STD testing and free HIV testing every February, around Valentine’s Day.
- The Virginia Department of Health has teamed up with Walgreens to provide free HIV testing at many stores across the state. The closest participating location to campus is 2004 Wards Road, Lynchburg, VA 24502.
- Title IX reporting and interpersonal misconduct
- Learn about evidence preservation in case medial attention is needed.