- We want the new residence hall to be ready and special for the students from the moment they move in.
- The building will have an occupancy permit soon, but it needs some additional work to make it the best possible facility for students — cleaning, testing all systems, etc.
- We approached Liberty University in May to request space just in case it would be needed. By mid-summer, the residence hall was on schedule so we did not think we would need the contingency plan. But this changed in late July as weather and other challenges caused new delays.
- We started this project with an ambitious timeline. Our contractor was the only firm who provided a plan for completing it in such a short time. Even with this short-term delay, we are months ahead of where we could have been otherwise.
- Students were informed of the possibility of living in another, temporary location when they signed up to live in the residence hall.
- While students are living in the Annex, we are providing services to make the experience as positive and convenient as possible.
- While we don’t know exactly when students will be able to move into the new residence hall, we hope it will be in early or mid-September.
- The Annex address is 3436 Odd Fellows Road, Lynchburg.
- The Annex is 2.9 miles from the main address of campus (less than a 10 minute drive).
- The Annex is a former hotel owned by Liberty University. It has been used for student housing before.
Why the Annex?
Some students have asked why they cannot live in other open rooms on campus rather than the Annex. It is important to develop and maintain a sense of community. We want this community to form starting as soon as students arrive, and we do not want to disrupt other campus communities with people moving out mid-semester.
- Students will check in at Schewel Hall as usual.
- They will receive keys and can then move in at the Annex.
What or how much to bring
- Students should bring what they normally would bring for living on campus.
- Annex rooms are similar in size to on-campus rooms.
- We cannot store students’ belongings on campus during the time they live in the Annex.
- Bus transportation will be provided
- The bus schedule is being set with students’ class schedules (start and end times) being taken into consideration. It will start in the early morning, with the last bus from campus to the Annex at 10 p.m.
- The proposed bus schedule is:
- Monday-Friday: 7:00 a.m. to 2 p.m., 4 p.m. – 10 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Vans may supplement the bus schedule at peak times and times when the bus is not running.
- Parking is available at the Annex and students can choose to drive to campus.
- We encourage students to use the bus so they do not have to spend time finding parking spaces when they arrive on campus.
- Some students are moving to the Annex before the bus service begins on August 18. We are working with their early-arrival sponsors (coaches, faculty, etc.) to arrange transportation.
- The safety of the students at the Annex is a top priority.
- We will provide security coverage around the clock.
- Lynchburg Police Department will provide additional coverage on weekends.
- All rooms have air conditioning.
- Rooms have beds, desks, and dressers.
- Rooms have private bathrooms.
- Wi-Fi and wired ethernet ports are active.
- Laundry is available on-site at the Annex (United are being installed this week.)
- Maintenance requests can be filed through the students’ RAs.
- Dining Services will provide a snack bar at the Annex.
- There are possibilities of arranging food truck services.
- The bus schedule should be adequate to get students to campus to use their Unlimited Meal Plan for most or all meals.
- Microfridges, which include refrigerators, freezers, and microwaves, that have been leased by students through the Melvin Corporation will be delivered directly to the Annex rooms on August 19.
- Students are living with the same roommates they would be living with in the new residence hall.
- Students will live close to the students they will live close to in the new residence hall.
- Students must obey all University policies as outlined in the Hornet, including the guest policy.
- All overnight guests must be registered, as usual.
- The swimming pool at the Annex is not to be used.
- As guests of Liberty University, students are required to a few additional policies, including:
- No alcohol allowed at the Annex.
- No smoking at the Annex.
- No significant others or people of the opposite gender as overnight guests.