The Hornet Account is an optional credit or debit account for use on campus.
The Hornet account can be used in the following areas:
- Campus Store, including textbooks
- Westover Room
- Brewed Awakenings
- On Common Ground
- Domino’s at Stinger’s
- Campus post office
- Hornet Shop
- Dining hall
Open an account online by completing the account application and sending us the account authorization form, and we’ll get your account set up within two business days.
All textbooks ordered thru MyLynchburg will be charged to the Hornet account without it being opened. Payment is expected within 30 days to avoid finance charges. The Hornet account must be opened for in store purchasing.
You can make payments or deposits to the Hornet account (or for reservation deposits or tuition payments) online at www.lynchburg.edu/payments.
A monthly billing statement will be sent to the billing address indicated on the account application or MyLynchburg textbook order. Currently this balance is separate from monthly bank drafts if applicable.
If you have any questions about your account, please contact Jill Farley in the Campus Store at 434.544.8242.
Advantages of the Hornet Account
- Once open, the Hornet Account is the account is tied to the university I.D. card so students do not need to carry cash or a debit card with them on campus.
- Spending can be limited to on-campus purchases, and purchase history can be tracked.
Debit or Credit?
The account type you choose is up to you. However, consider the special situations below:
- If you want to limit your (student’s) spending, select a debit account. You may deposit money into this account at any time.
- Deposits can be made online at www.lynchburg.edu/payments (select Hornet Account payment).
- You may also call by phone to use a credit card by calling the cashier’s office at 434.544.8246. Deposits post at midnight if called in before 3 p.m. or done online before 9 a.m. during a weekday.
Using Financial Aid to Pay for Course Materials
- If you want to use financial aid to pay for course materials, order books thru MyLynchburg. If you have remaining funds after tuition is paid, or scholarship funds, then financial aid funds will pay the Hornet Account. You should see this reflected on the billing statement. If the balance is not paid, you will need to pay it. Contact the business office 434.544.8218 regarding funds available.
- Once your financial aid arrives, all financial obligations will be paid prior to a refund check being issued. Your Hornet Charge Account will be charged a finance charge each month it remains past due (18% APR) while waiting for the financial aid to arrive.
- Once the financial aid has paid the account, do not use the account until next semester. Students who charge on the account after their financial aid has paid the account must pay the balance monthly. A past due account will not be taken off hold regardless of future financial aid expected.