University of Lynchburg has established a Crisis Management Team (CMT) to carry out its crisis management plan. The CMT is composed of staff from departments, divided into three teams from across campus and meets to discuss ongoing and timely issues, focusing on planning, preparation, and procedures that are models of good practice. In addition, the team takes part in training and tabletop exercises several times a year to test and enhance the University’s procedures for and response to an emergency on campus.
The primary responsibility of the team is to make recommendations for the president and senior staff so that they may successfully lead the University through a crisis. The crisis management team will manage the crisis from beginning to end, making determinations about the scope and nature of the response, as well as coordinating communication of information about the crisis to all internal and external audiences.
The University of Lynchburg crisis management team is committed to building effective partnerships and collaborating with local, county, state and federal officials whenever a crisis situation involves such agencies.
- Students and employee safety
- External and internal communication, including email listservs and web pages
- Act as a liaison with local, state and federal emergency agencies
- Physical access to the University, its buildings, laboratories, and grounds
- Information Technology Services (ITR)
- All purchasing and contracting, including temporary staff
- Emergency facilities and equipment
- Normal operating supplies and equipment
- Emergency payments or loans to staff and vendors
- Receipt of goods and services
- Utility/Facility restoration
- Personnel and benefits actions
- Space assignment
- Class schedules
The CMT includes representatives from the following University areas*:
- Office of the President
- University Communications and Marketing
- Finance and Business Services
- Campus Safety and Security
- Physical Plant
- Student Affairs
- Academic Affairs
- Health and Counseling
- Auxiliary Services
- Information Technology Services
* Other offices and departments are included as needed.