Master of Education in Special Education
This program prepares you to make positive contributions in the lives of people with disabilities. The curriculum addresses the complexities of the challenges faced by these persons as well as the services and support needed in order to assist them as they strive for independence.
Learning experiences are structured so you develop a comprehensive knowledge of the multifaceted nature of special education.
Our 36 -hour program offers:
- Multiple program options. You choose one or more of these five areas of study:
- Special education - general curriculum (focusing on students with learning disabilities, emotional and behavioral disorders, and intellectual disabilities)
- Early childhood special education
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Special education - adapted curriculum (significant disabilities)
- Applied behavior analysis
- Online options for early childhood special education courses
We also offer special education graduate certificates program including:
- Applied Behavior Analysis
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- School Inclusion
- Students with Significant Disabilities
- Young Children with Developmental Disabilities
The certificate program in autism spectrum disorder is recognized by the Virginia Autism Council (VAC).
Dr. Gena Barnhill
Associate Professor of Education and Human Development