French students participated in Student Scholar Showcase, Spring 2013, with presentations on 19th century Americans in Paris and the history of the French film industry.
- French is a language spoken by 200 million people in 50 countries
- French is a language for international communication
- French is a language of culture, diplomacy, business, and research
- Studying French reinforces English skills. About 45 percent of English
vocabulary is derived from French
- Language skills enhance job opportunities in many fields.
- Knowledge of foreign cultures makes for better citizens at home and abroad.
More information: http://www.fll.vt.edu/French/whyfrench.html