Health Training Consortium
Understanding and Caring for Older Adults with Mental Illness
March 11, 2014
8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
(Check-in, 8 - 8:30 a.m.)
1501 Lakeside Drive
- Dr. Peter Betz, Medical Director of Geriatric Psychiatry, Piedmont Psychiatric Center, Centra
- Dr. Michael Williams Sr., Assistant Professor, Counselor Education, Lynchburg College
What you will learn to do
- Describe the primary mood disorders in older adults
- Describe the impact of dementing illness as an aspect of seniors' mental life
- Explore effective patient-centered communication strategies
- Devise a successful strategy to deal with compassion fatigue
Presentation Handout (Powerpoint)
- $50 non-Consortium members
- $45 Consortium members
- $20 Certified nursing assistants
- $10 students
Registration deadline: March 1, 2014
This activity has been submitted to the Virginia Nurses Association for approval to award contact hours. The Virginia Nurses
Association is accredited as an approver of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s
Commission on Accreditation.
Participants will receive a certificate of attendance verifying three contact hours. Free Lynchburg College CEUs are available.
Students registered are ineligible for CEUs.