How is a semicolon used?
- When you are linking two independent clauses with no connecting words.
Example: Sally and I are going to the beach; we are going to surf and play volleyball.
- When you are linking two independent clauses that are joined, but one has a conjunctive adverbs in front of it. Examples of conjunctive adverbs are therefore, furthermore, however, undoubtedly, and consequently.
Example: It will be very sunny and hot at the beach today; therefore, Sally is bringing an umbrella, and I am bringing sunblock.
- When you are listing or writing a series and the items have a comma.
Example: Sally will bring two books, Siddharta and On Writing; two sodas, Coke and Sprite; and a sandwich.
- When linking two independent clauses that are joined by a coordinating conjunction if the clauses are already punctuated with commas or if the clauses are lengthy.
Example: Some people go to the beach to tan, read, and take long walks; yet, others go to play in the sand, ride the waves, and see friends.
Add a semicolon.
- The novel is based on Buddha’s life moreover, it informs the reader about the culture of his time.
- Stephen King is known for writing horror books, stories, and films; but, he has also written an engaging instructor’s guide to writing.
- Buddha spoke of suffering, which he claimed all beings face; the reality of suffering, which he urged his followers to acknowledge; and how to overcome suffering, which he claimed was through detachment and following the middle way.
- One of Stephen King’s most notorious characters is Pennywise; many readers were affected by this character as clowns can be scary.