For use with online courses only.
Wilmer Writing Center offers both synchronous and asynchronous online tutoring. Synchronous online tutoring involves speaking on the phone, or using Skype, while a tutor looks over a student’s paper using Google Docs. Asynchronous online tutoring involves having a tutor read over a student’s paper (usually as an email attachment or Google Doc). The tutor then sends feedback to the student. Please keep in mind that asynchronous online tutoring is not an editing service. Tutors will ask questions to help the student improve their writing skills. Tutors will also provide links with useful information to help students become stronger writers.
To make an appointment, contact the Wilmer Writing Center’s graduate assistant at 72 hours before the day you would like to have your work looked over.
For a synchronous session, you must provide at least two possible times (on the day you wish to conference) that you are available to speak either by phone or Skype. The graduate assistant will provide a phone number and/or Skype handle.
At least 24 hours prior to your scheduled appointment, send the following:
- Your assignment’s instructions
- Your assignment
- Answers to the following questions:
- What is your name?
- Which course does this assignment belong to?
- What is the title of the assignment? What is the required citation format (MLA, APA, Chicago, AMA, etc.)?
- Explain your approach or background thinking about this assignment. What are you trying to accomplish in this piece of writing?
- What are your strengths in this assignment? What do you believe that you have done well?
- What are you concerned about? What sections of your paper still need more work?
- Is there anything specific that you would like the tutor to comment on?
The tutor will have fifty minutes to look over a student’s work. If a student needs more than fifty minutes, they should request several sessions, which means that the online tutor may not be able to look over their entire paper in one day. If a student’s work is over ten pages long, they will most likely need more than one session. Students may also specify which section of their paper needs priority. Please keep in mind that online students are competing with on-campus students for writing center appointments. It is best to request online tutoring at least 72 hours in advance.
Wilmer Writing Center values all students, including those enrolled in online classes. We are here to help!