A student who presents a concern about a final grade will be required to discuss this with the instructor of the course (or the school dean in the instructor’s absence) for which the grade was earned. If, after the discussion, the student wishes to appeal the grade, the following are the steps for the procedure:
- As indicated in the College policy in the Undergraduate Catalog, within three weeks after grade reports are provided by the Registrar’s Office, the student will submit a written appeal to the Dean of the School of Health Sciences and Human Performance.
- The School Dean will establish an appeals file for all correspondence and materials to be available for the appeal.
- The School Dean will appoint a committee of three with one person being from the program area being appealed with the other two from different programs within the School to the degree possible. The School Dean will determine with the committee a date for a review of the appeal.
- The School Dean will send the faculty member named a copy of the student’s appeal so a response can be submitted if desired. The instructor will be asked to provide appropriate documentation for the committee review by a specified date. Materials to be submitted include a description of the grading and evaluation process for the course, including the syllabus if separate, and any other documentation or rationale deemed important.
- The student will be notified in writing that 1) the appeal was received, 2) an appeals committee will hear the case, 3) the instructor has been contacted for information, and the student may submit in writing any additional material by a specified date.
- Following the committee meeting, the decision of the committee will be forwarded to the Dean of the School of Health Sciences and Human Performance and the Dean of the College. The Dean of the College will notify the faculty member and the student of the decision.
Should the committee recommend a grade change, the Dean of the College will convey this to the faculty member in a timely manner to allow time for consideration of such change. The faculty member will send in writing any change made to the Dean of the College.
Passed HSHP Meeting 1/20/06 Reviewed 11/12/08