To activate your DVA benefits, follow these steps:
- Apply for GI Bill benefits
- Complete and submit a University of Lynchburg application for admission:
- Meet with your Academic Advisor to discuss your academic interest and select a program. You must choose a degree program to apply for DVA benefits.
- Enroll for classes at the Registrar’s Office.
- Send an email to the Veterans Affairs Coordinator each semester at to provide enrollment confirmation. Certification is based on the number of credits you are taking. DVA will only pay for classes listed in your curriculum. DVA will not pay for previously completed classes.
- Submit official transcripts for evaluation to the Office of Enrollment Services, including your DD-214, DD-2384 and transcripts from prior colleges and military service schools (Community College of the Air Force; AARTS/Army/ACE Registry Transcript System; SMART/Sailor/Marine Registry Transcript). The DVA requires an evaluation of your military training/experience and all prior college credits. All transcripts must be submitted and evaluated by the end of your second semester; otherwise DVA will stop your benefits. Request Military Transcripts
To continue your education benefits without interruption:
- Email the Veterans Affairs Coordinator at each semester to confirm your enrollment.
- Promptly notify the Veterans Affairs Coordinator of any enrollment changes to avoid overpayment or underpayment of benefits; also report any changes on your monthly enrollment verification to DVA (see #4).
- Have all prior college credits and military experience evaluated by the end of your second semester.
- Verify your enrollment with DVA monthly
To receive payment you must verify your enrollment monthly either by phone, 877.823.2378, or online: Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE). Remember to repeat this process on the last day of each month for which you are entitled to benefits, otherwise you will not get paid.If you have switched from Chapter 30 or Chapter 1606, Montgomery GI Bill; or Chapter 1607, Reservist Educational Assistance Program (REAP), to Chapter 33 the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you do not have to verify your attendance each month.