Assistant Professor of Applied Linguistics
- 2015-present, ESL Director, Lynchburg College
- 2012-2015, Coordinator, English Proficiency Interview (EPI), Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- 2012-2015, Specialist in Education, Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- 2006-2009, Assistant Editor, Folia Linguistica Historica, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- 1995-1999, Residency Coordinator, Administrator for post-graduate specialty training in psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
- 1993-1995, Homestay Coordinator, International Language Institute, Washington, D.C.
- PhD, Linguistics -University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- MA, Linguistics – George Mason University, Fairfax, Va.
- MA, International Education and Development, Specialization in English as a Second Language (ESL) – The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
- BS, French Language and Civilization, minor in Business Administration – The Pennsylvania State University, State College, Pa.
- Pierce, L.R. and Ionin, T. (2011). Perception of articles in L2 English. In M. Plonsky and M. Schierloh (eds.), Selected Proceedings of the 2009 Second Language Research Forum, pp 121-128. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.
- Yoon, S., Pierce, L.R., Huensch, A., Juul, E., Perkins, S., Sproat, R., and Hasegawa-Johnson, M. (2009). Construction of a rated speech corpus of L2 learners’ speech. Journal of Computer Assisted Language Instruction Consortium (CALICO), 26(3), 662-673.
- Pierce, L.R. (2008). Review of American English: Dialects and Variation. Second edition. Walt Wolfram and Natalie Schilling-Estes. Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 2006, x+452 pp. in World Englishes, 27(2), pp. 289-292.
- Pierce, L.R. and Huensch, A. (2015). ITAs, Oral Proficiency, and Quasi-Crowdsourcing Assessment. American Association of Applied Linguist (AAAL) 2015. Toronto, Canada, March 2015.
- Watts, P., Huensch, A., and Pierce, L.R. (2013). Attainable targets for L2 learners: How proficient L2 speakers can bridge the gap, Pronunciation in Second Language Learning and Teaching (PSLLT-2013) Iowa State University, Ames Iowa, September 2013.
- Pierce, L.R. and Ionin, T. (2010). Perception of articles in L2-English. American Association of Applied Linguistics 2010 annual conference, Atlanta, Georgia, March 2010.
Workshops and Colloquia
- August 2014: “Cross Cultural Classroom Communication.” Presentation for the Graduate Academy for College Teaching, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
- October 2014: “International Students and Diversity.” Presentation for Graduate Teaching Assistant training, Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
- October 2013: “Internationalizing the syllabus: Drawing on international resources and building language support into your syllabus.” Workshop for faculty and instructors, Center for Teaching Excellence, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
- March 2013: “Fine Tuning for Clear Speech; Pronunciation and Presentation Workshop for International Faculty,” Center for Teaching Excellence, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
- April 2013: “Assessing L2 Writing: Responding to Non-Native English Speakers’ Writing Errors.” Center for Teaching Excellence, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
- October 2013: “Oral Communication and Presentation Skills for Non-Native English-Speaking Graduate Students” for the Cultural Awareness and Speech Enhancement (CASE) group, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
- November 2013: “Phonology and Phonetics of English” workshop for international graduate students in the MBA program, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.