Associate Professor of Sport Management
Philosophy Activity and Educational Services
Master of Arts
Graduate Specialization: Sexuality Studies
Bachelor of Arts
Bachelor of Arts
Ohio State University
Pieper, L.P. Sex Testing: Gender Policing in Women’s Sports. Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 2016.
- An American Library Association Choice Outstanding Academic Title
- A North American Society for Sport History Distinguished Title
- The North American Society for Sport Sociology Outstanding Book of the Year
Chapters in Edited Books:
- Pieper, L.P. (Fall 2018). “‘Wolves in Skirts?”: Gender and Sexuality in Cold War Women’s Sport.” In Defending the American Way of Life: Sport, Politics, and the Cold War. Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press.
- Pieper, L.P. (Fall 2017). “Babe Didrikson at the 1932 Olympics.” In Replays, Rivalries, and Rumbles: The Most Iconic Moments in American Sports. Urbana: University of Illinois Press.
- Rogol, A.D., & Pieper, L.P. (October 2018). “The Interconnected Histories of Endocrinology and Eligibility in Women’s Sport.” Hormone Research in Paediatrics.
- Krieger, J., Pieper, L.P., and Ritchie I. (February 2018). Sex, Drugs, and Science: The IOC’s and IAAF’s Attempt to Control Fairness in Sport. Sport in Society.
- Houghton, E., Pieper, L.P., & Smith, M. (2017), “Women in the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games: An Analysis of Participation, Leadership, and Media Coverage. East Meadow, NY: Women’s Sports Foundation.
- Rogol, A.D. & Pieper, L.P. (October 2017) “Genes, Gender (Sex), Hormones and Doping in Sport: A Convoluted Tale.” Frontiers in Endocrinology.
- Linden, A.D. & Pieper, L.P. (Summer 2017). “Writing Sports Online: An Analysis of the Pitfalls and Potential of Academic Blogging.” Journal of Sport History.
- Pieper, L.P. (November 2015). “‘Preserving la Difference’: The Fallacy of Sex-Segregated Sport.” Sport in Society.
- Pieper, L.P. (July 2014). “Sex Testing and the Maintenance of Western Femininity in International Sport.” International Journal of the History of Sport.
- Pieper, L.P. (November 2013). “Mike Penner ‘or’ Christine Daniels: The U.S. Media and the Fractured Representation of a Transgender Sportswriter.” Sport in Society.
- Pieper, L.P. (April 2012). “Gender Regulation: Renée Richards Revisited.” International Journal of the History of Sport.
- HONR 342: Power Play: Politics and Sport
- SPMG 260: Principles of Sport Management
- SPMG 270: Sport Governance
- SPMG 275: History of Sport in America
- SPMG 350: Gender and Sport—Issues and Controversies
- SPMG 353: Sports Law
- SPMG 398: Sport Broadcasting
- SPMG 415: Internships in Sport Management
- SPMG 420: Sport Ethics and Current Issues