Adjunct Assistant Professor of Religious Studies
- PhD in Systematic Theology – University of St. Michael’s College 2016
- MPhil – Institute for Theology, Imagination, and the Arts, University of St. Andrews 2008
- ThM in Theology and Ethics – Union–PSCE (now Union Presbyterian Seminary) 2002
- MDiv – Union–PSCE 2001
- BA in History and Religious Studies, magna cum laude – Virginia Wesleyan College 1998
- 2018-present: Freelance Editor, Engelhaven Editorial Services
- 2015-2019: Adjunct Assistant Professor of Theology, College of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University, Collegeville, MN
- 2011-2017: Managing Editor, Parish Market, Liturgical Press
- 2010-2011: Teaching Assistant, Wycliffe College, University of Toronto
- 2010: Teaching Assistant, Knox College, University of Toronto
- 2005-2006: Tutor, St. Mary’s College, University of St. Andrews
- 2001 – 2006: Associate Editor, Lectionary Homiletics
- “Conscience and the Eschatological Self: The Retrieval of Teleology in Karl Barth’s Moral Theology of Divine Command.” International Journal of Systematic Theology. Forthcoming.
- Review of Conscience & Catholicism: Rights, Responsibilities, & Institutional Responses, edited by David E. DeCosse and Kristin E. Heyer. Reading Religion (March 30, 2017).
- Review of Christian Ethics and the Church: Ecclesial Foundations for Moral
Thought and Practice, by Philip Turner. Reading Religion (October 22, 2016).
- Study Guide to Guide for the Christian Perplexed, edited by Thomas P. Power. Eugene, OR: Pickwick, 2011.
- Review of The Cambridge Companion to John Wesley, edited by Randy L.
Maddox and Jason E. Vickers. Toronto Journal of Theology 27.1 (March 2011).
Conferences, Lectures, and Talks
- “Developing Information Literacy for Interdisciplinary Engagement: A Heuristic Device for the Core Course in Religion.” American Academy of Religion Upper Midwest Regional Conference. University of St. Thomas, Saint Paul, MN, April 6, 2019.
- “Martin Luther King Jr. as a Student of Theology.” Martin Luther King Jr. Day Teach-In, College of Saint Benedict, St. Joseph, MN, January 15, 2018.
- “Copyright or Copywrong? How Gutenberg’s Printing Press Continues to Spark Church Battles.” Center for the Study of Religious Freedom, Virginia Wesleyan University, Norfolk, VA, November 16, 2017.
- “Karl Barth’s Eschatological Interpretation of Conscience and the Teleological Recovery of Voluntarism.” American Academy of Religion Upper Midwest Regional Conference. Luther Seminary, Saint Paul, MN, April 1, 2017.
- “Barth, Mozart, and St. Benedict: Lessons in Listening with the Ear of the Heart.” Institute for Theological and Interdisciplinary Studies. Macalester College, St. Paul, MN, October 27, 2017.
- “Conscience and Command: Ethical Voluntarism in John Duns Scotus, William of Ockham, and Karl Barth.” Saint John’s University, Collegeville, MN, December 1, 2016.
- “Christ as True Music: Charles Wesley and Joseph Ratzinger on Musical Perfection.” Christian Congregational Music: Local and Global Perspectives. Ripon College Cuddesdon, Oxford, September 3, 2011.
- “The Wesleyan Transformation of the Public Sphere: Musical and Moral Perfection in Early Methodism.” Canadian Wesley Studies Symposium. Tyndale Seminary, Toronto, March 15, 2011.
- “Ecclesial Identity Politics: the Methodist Doctrinal Standards Debate in Postliberal Perspective.” Ecumenism and the Challenge of Pluralism: An Interdisciplinary Dialogue. Toronto School of Theology, May 8, 2010.
- “Hearing Perpetual Desire: Eschatological Soundings in Aquinas, Begbie, and Deleuze.” Toronto School of Theology, April 1, 2009.
- “Benedictus contra Dionysus: music and logos in dialogue with Joseph Ratzinger.” American Academy of Religion Upper Midwest Regional Conference. Luther Seminary, Saint Paul, MN, March 28, 2009.
- “Redeeming the Dionysian: Desire and Resolution in Musical Performance.” Patterns of Promise: Art, Imagination and Christian Hope. Institute for Theology, Imagination & the Arts, University of St. Andrews, March 28, 2006.
- “Forbidden Symbols: The Great Commission and Barth’s Musical Iconoclasm.” Scottish Barth Colloquium. University of St Andrews, March 6, 2006.
- “The War of the Wesleys: Charles’ Musical Aesthetic vs. John’s Doctrine of Christian Perfection.” Virginia Wesleyan College, March 13, 2003.
- “Eschatology and the Christian Life.” Systematic Theology class. Cambodian Methodist Bible School, Phnom Penh, January 16, 2003.
Awards and Honors
- Alcuin and Clemens Library Information Literacy Faculty Award, College of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University (2018)
- Colin Gunton Memorial Essay Prize, Society for the Study of Theology (2016)
- Theta Alpha Kappa (religious studies honor society)
- Phi Alpha Theta (history honor society)
- Omicron Delta Kappa (leadership honor society)
- American Academy of Religion
- Charles Wesley Society
- Karl Barth Society of North America
- Society for the Arts in Religious and Theological Studies
- Society for Post-Supersessionist Theology
- Society for the Study of Theology
- Society of Christian Ethics