Assistant Professor of Nursing
Dr. Hallowell has worked as a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner since 1996. Her focus has been on children and adolescents with chronic illness. Her DNP research focused on the development of a transition program for adolescents who had undergone a heart transplant.
Dr. Hallowell has taught for several years on a part-time basis at the University of Virginia and at Kent State University in Ohio. Her passion is working with both undergraduate and graduate students to foster a love of learning. Dr. Hallowell is honored to be a part of the wonderful faculty at LC.
In addition, Dr. Hallowell is very interested in simulation and students’ use of mobile technology in the clinical and classroom setting.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice – University of Virginia, 2013
- Master’s of Science in Nursing- Case Western Reserve University, 1996
- Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, 1996
- Bachelors’ of Science in Nursing –Emory University, 1992
- Hallowell, Sara C. (2014) Setting the stage for development of a program for adolescent heart transplant recipients to transition to adult providers: An integrative review of the literature. Journal for Specialists in Pediatric Nursing. Vol 19 (4), pp 285-295. Doi: 10.1111/jspn.12084
- Hallowell, SC, Foster, J. and Lloyd, J. (2015). Use of Mobile Technology (iPads) in Pediatric Nursing Simulation. 10th Annual Conference of the Virginia State Simulation Alliance. August 5th-7th. Virginia Beach, Virginia.
- Hallowell, SC, Foster, J. and Lloyd, J. (2015) Use of Mobile Technology (iPads) in Nursing Student Simulation. International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning 14th Annual Conference. June 10-12. Atlanta, Georgia.
- Hallowell, SC. (2014) Bridging the Gap in Pediatric Heart Transplant Care Through the Development of a Transition Program. 7th National Doctors of Nursing Practice Conference. Nashville, Tennessee.