Adjunct Instructor of History
- Fall 2016 – Present, Adjunct Instructor, University of Lynchburg
- Fall 2017, Adjunct Instructor, Central Virginia Community College
- Fall 2011 – Fall 2015, Graduate Assistant, Florida State University
- Fall 2010 – Spring 2011, Adjunct Instructor of History, University of Lynchburg
- PhD – Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL, 2016
Major field: Modern European with concentration in Modern Britain
Minor fields: Modern Russia, Modern Latin America, Gender/Sexuality
- MA in History – University of Lynchburg, Lynchburg, VA, 2010
Emphasis: Atlantic World with a focus on 19th century British History
- BA – University of Lynchburg, Lynchburg VA, 2008
Major: History, concentration in European History
Articles on the “British Army” and “Latin America” in the Encyclopedia of the British Empire (abc-clio) (Forthcoming).
- “When it All Crashes Down: Understanding Military Suicide in 19th Century Britain and its Empire,” Britain and the World, Austin, Texas, April 2017.
- “Educating Soldiers’ Children: The Role of Empire in Funding Education, 1850-1884,” Britain and the World, King’s College London, June 2016.
- “Perceptions of Same-Sex Relationships and Bestiality in the British Army, 1850-1885” Imperial War Museum—Manchester, National Festival of LGBT History, February 2015.
- “What’s Love Got to Do with It? Sexuality and the British Soldier, 1850-1884,” Britain and the World, University of Texas at Austin, April 2015. (International)
- “The Needle and the Sword: Discourses of Marriage and Masculinity in the British Army in the 1860s,” Mid-Atlantic Conference of British Studies, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland; March 2015.
- “Scarred Bodies: Corporal Punishment and Discourses of Masculinity in the British Army, 1867-1881” Social Science Historical Association (SSHA), Toronto, Canada; November 2014. (International)
- “Scarred Bodies: Corporal Punishment and Discourses of Masculinity, 1867-1881” British Scholars Conference, Newcastle University, Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom; June 2014. (International)
- “Divorce and the British Military, 1848-1857,” New Frontiers Graduate History Conference, York University, Toronto, Canada; February 2012 (International)
- “Love and Consequences: Divorce and the British Military,” Southern Historical Association, Baltimore, Maryland, October 2011.
- “Love and Consequences: Effects of Empire on British Divorce Reform Act of 1857,” British Scholars Conference, March/April 2011 (International)
- “Love and Consequences: Effects of Empire on British Divorce Reform Act of 1857” New England Historical Association, October 2010.
- “Read All About It! The Role of the British Press in the Social Construction of the Cult of Domesticity through the Lens of Divorce Law Reform,” National Phi Alpha Theta Biennial Convention, San Diego, California, January 2010.
- “Scarred Bodies: Discourses of Masculinity in the British Army, 1850-1881,” Invited Speaker, University of Lynchburg, Lynchburg, VA, October 2015.
- “Scarred Bodies: Discourses of Masculinity in the British Army, 1850-1881,” War and Society Symposium, Florida State University, October 2015
- “Class, Love, and Consequences: Intersections of Class and Gender in British Divorce Cases, 1848-1858,” Graduate Student Forum, UNC- Charlotte, March 2010.
- “Read All About It! The Role of the British Press in the Divorce Reform Act of 1857,” Regional Phi Alpha Theta Conference, Bridgewater College, February 2009.
- J. Leitch Wright Jr. Research Award, Department of History, Florida State University, October 2014.
- Most Outstanding Graduate Paper in European History, Regional Phi Alpha Theta Conference, March 2010.
- W.W. Ferguson Award for Outstanding Scholarship in History, April 2008.
- North American Conference of British Scholars (NACBS)
- American Historical Association
- British Scholars
- Southern Historical Association
- Phi Alpha Theta
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Atlantic World Search Committee- Graduate Representative—Spring 2014
- Southeast Regional Graduate Conference Committee member—Fall 2013/Spring 2014
- Peer Reviews for Virginia Social Science Journal (VSSJ)—two in Fall 2013
- Judged Graduate and Undergraduate Europe and the World papers for Phi Alpha Theta conference in Lynchburg, VA, Spring 2011.
- Served as a Moderator at the Midwest Victorian Studies Association Conference, University of Iowa, Spring 2010.
- Planned and organized a Local Teacher’s symposium entitled “From Cold War to War on Terror: American Foreign Policy since 1945,” held at University of Lynchburg Fall 2009.