The research class EXPH 450W, taken in the junior year, is designed to give students knowledge about research and how it should be conducted. The elective research class EXPH 451, taken in the senior year, provides students with the opportunity to conduct a small-scale research project and present the findings to their peers at the Student Scholar Showcase held on Red Letter Day each spring.
Graduate School Research by Faculty
Dr. Sean Collins
- Influence of Rate of Rehydration on Exercise Performance in Dehydrated Males – Doctoral Dissertation
- Collins SM, Perzinski C, Silberlicht M, Smith S, Davidson PD. The relationship between body composition and preseason performance tests of collegiate male lacrosse players. J Strength Cond Res. 2014; Mar 11 (ePub AOP)
- Sawyer JC, Wood R, Davidson PW, Collins SM, Gregory SM, Matthews T, Paolone VJ. Effects of a short-term carbohydrate restricted diet on strength and power performance. J Strength Cond Res. 2013;27(8):2255-62.
- Loenneke, JP, Kearney M, Thrower, A, Collins, S, Pujol, TJ. The acute response of practical occlusion in the knee extensors. J Strength Cond Res. 2010;24(10):2831-2834.
- The Effect of Exercise-Induced Dehydration on Neuropsychological Performance and Postural Stability. American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting. 2014.
- Supplementation for Athletic Performance. National Strength and Conditioning Association’s State Symposium. 2013.
- Electrocardiography (ECG): Role in Pre-Participation Screenings for Athletes. 2nd and 3rd Annual Sports Medicine Symposium. 2012 & 2014.
- Coaching the Run – Proper Running Form. VAPHERD State Conference. 2012.
Dr. DuAnn Kremer
- Kremer DE, Pebworth K, Taylor JK, Werner, P. Geocaching for Physical and Cross-Curricular Education. Presented at American Alliance of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance Annual National Convention, San Diego, CA, 2011.
- Taylor JK, Kremer D, Pebworth K, Werner P. Geocaching for Schools and Communities. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 2010.
- Bradney D, Kremer DE, Bowman T. Creating Communities: Living and Learning. Presented at Lilly Conference, Greensboro, NC, 2010.
- Kremer DE. Accreditation of Academic Programs in the Exercise Sciences. Presented at American Alliance of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance Annual National Convention, Tampa, FL, 2009.
- Kremer DE, Pebworth K, Taylor JK, Werner, P. Haven’t Heard About Geocaching? Part I and Discover Fort Worth – Let’s Go Geocaching Part II. Presented at American Alliance of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance Annual National Convention, Fort Worth, TX, 2008.
- Kremer D. Ideas Exchange: How do you use hand-held technology and specifically GPS units/geocaching to enhance physical activity in your physical education program? A compilation. Strategies: A Journal for Physical and Sport Educators. 2007; 21(2):5-6.
- Kremer DE. Lactate transport in sarcolemmal giant vesicles from canine skeletal muscle [dissertation]. Auburn (AL): Auburn University; 1995.
- Kremer DE. Actual and predicted energy costs for females walking one mile level, uphill, downhill, and mixed [thesis]. Auburn (AL): Auburn University; 1990.
Dr. Jill Lucas
- Physical activity and sedentary behavior: Measurement approaches and their relationships with cardiometabolic health indicators among college freshmen – Doctoral dissertation
- Effect of a combined exercise and recreation therapy program on fitness parameters, fatigue, and quality of life in breast cancer survivors – Masters thesis
- Psychosocial predictors of objectively measured sedentary and physical activity behavior among female college freshmen – Presentation at American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, 2012.
- Agreement between self-reported and objective sitting times varies by day of week among college freshmen – Presentation at American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, 2013.
- Measures of physical activity and their associations with cardiometabolic risk in college students – Presentation at American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, 2014.
- Sedentary behavior measurement approaches among college students – Presentation at Southeastern Regional American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, 2014 (accepted, cancelled due to inclement weather).
- 2019 Oral Presentation First Place Winner for the School of Health Sciences Jessica Koontz. Faculty sponsors: Jill Lucas, Sean Collins, and Nancy Cowden. The Effects of Common Treatment Modalities on Delayed-onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS).
- 2019 Oral Presentation Honorable Mention Winner for the School of Health Sciences Sidney Michaux. Faculty sponsors: Jill Lucas, Takashi Maie, and Sean Collins. A Case-control Study of Muscular Activity in an Individual with Neurological Wilson’s Disease.
- 2019 Oral Presentation Winner for the School of Health Sciences Alyssa Kopsidas. Faculty sponsors: Jill Lucas, Sean Collins, and Stephen Smith. The Impact of Pregame-state Anxiety on Level of Performance among Female Collegiate Soccer Players.
- 2018 Oral Presentation Winner for the School of Health Sciences and Human Performance Emily Maxwell. Faculty sponsor: Jill M. Lucas. The Effects of Core Stabilization Training on the Performance of Functional Tasks in Firefighters.
- 2017 Oral Presentation Winner for the School of Health Science and Human Performance Skyler Lewis. Faculty sponsors: Sean M. Collins, Jill M. Lucas. The Effects of Submaximal Exercise in Cognition in Adults.
- 2016 Oral Presentation Winner for the School of Health Science and Human Performance Julie Ann Thomas. Faculty sponsor: Jill M. Lucas. Shod vs. Unshod Agility, Balance, and Jump Height.
- 2015 Oral Presentation Winner for the School of Health Science and Human Performance Kassia Mayo. Faculty sponsor: Sean M. Collins. Metabolic Costs of High Intensity Interval Tabata Training Protocols of Treadmill Running and Kettlebell Swings Compared to Submaximal Steady State Treadmill Running.
- 2014 Second Place Overall in Poster Presentations – Caleigh Patterson (at right), Faculty sponsor: Sean Collins. Self-perceived Physical Fitness versus Actual Physical Fitness level in NCAA Division III Female Athletes.
- 2014 First Place in the School of Health Science and Human Performance – Stacy Barringer, Faculty sponsor: Sean Collins. Gender Differences in Heart Rate Recovery and Heart Rate Reserve Based on Body Composition.
- 2013 Third Place Overall in Poster Presentations – Britney Ceney, Faculty sponsor: DuAnn Kremer. Effect of Modality on Hamstring Flexibility.
- 2013 First Place in the School of Health Science and Human Performance – Logan-Ann Marie Gittman, Faculty sponsor: DuAnn Kremer. Effects of Body Heat on BOD POD Estimated Body Composition.
- 2012 Third Place in the Dean’s Award for Best Poster – Sarah Laurent, Faculty Sponsor: DuAnn Kremer. Cardiovascular Responses to Wii Fit Training: Exergaming Compared to Traditional Exercise.