Professor of English
Prism Faculty Advisor
- 2016 – Present, Professor, University of Lynchburg
- 2009 – 2016, Associate Professor, University of Lynchburg
- May 2011-May 2013, Director, MA Program in English, University of Lynchburg
- 2004-05; 2006-09, Assistant Professor, University of Lynchburg
- 2000-2004, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Literature and Languages, Sul Ross State University, Alpine, Texas. MA and BA Programs.
- 2001-2004, Director, Borderland Writers in the Schools, Far West Texas.
Coordinated program; trained graduate students to teach creative writing in three rural secondary schools for ten to sixteen-week residencies.
- 1995-2000, Creative Writing Teacher, Writers in the Schools, Houston, Texas.
M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, 1997-2000; in bilingual inner-city classrooms, and at the Menil Collection, 1995-97.
- Additional teaching: University of Houston, University of Texas at Austin, St. Edward’s University in Austin, Austin Community College
- PhD, Creative Writing and Literature – University of Houston
(Specialization Exams: Fiction genre; magical realism; early American literature)
- MA, English/ Creative Writing – University of Texas at Austin
- MA, Anthropology/ Folklore – University of Texas at Austin
- BA, English/ Creative Writing – Oberlin College
- Eyes Glowing at the Edge of the Woods: Fiction and Poetry from West Virginia. Co-edited with Doug Van Gundy. Vandalia/West Virginia University Press. March 2017.
- Out of Peel Tree. Novel. West Virginia University Press/Vandalia, 2014.
- The Eye of Caroline Herschel: A Life in Poems. Chapbook. Finishing Line Press, 2013.
- Imagine a Door, Poems. Cincinnati: Turning Point Books, 2009.
Select Magazine Publications
Over fifty published works including:
- Fiction in Richmond Magazine, Shenandoah: The Washington & Lee Review; FICTION; Arts & Letters; New Orleans Review; Cimarron Review; North American Review
- Poetry in Connotation Press; Journal of Humanistic Mathematics; Still: The Journal; Calyx; Southern Review
- Creative nonfiction in Kestrel: A Journal of Literature and Art (2014)
- Guest Faculty, MFA Creative Writing Program, West Virginia Wesleyan
- Keynote Speaker (with Yvonne Murphy), Writers in the Schools/Houston Annual Orientation
- Associated Writers and Writing Programs (AWP) Annual Conference
- Appalachian Studies Association (ASA) Annual Conference
- College English Association (CEA) Annual Conference
- International Auto/Biography Conference (IABA) Biennial Conference
- Association for the Study of Literature and Environment (ASLE) Biennial Conference
- South Central Modern Language Association (SCMLA) Annual Conference
- Creative Writing readings at numerous locations
- Book Award Finalist, for Out of Peel Tree: The Balcones Fiction Prize; IndieFab Award for Literary Fiction; and the Weatherford Award
- James Michener Fellowship for Fiction
- Donald Barthelme Fellowship for Fiction
- James River Writers Award for Best Unpublished Novel
- Pforzheimer Fellowship, Ransom Humanities Research Center, Austin, Texas
- Residency Fellowships in Poetry and Fiction, Virginia Center for Creative Arts (VCCA)
- Mednick Memorial Fellowship, Virginia Foundation for Independent Colleges
- Fellow, Seminar Institute in Literary Studies, National Humanities Center, NC
- Pushcart Prize Nominations (3) in Poetry
- Individual Artist Fellowship for Fiction, Texas Commission on the Arts
- Project Grant, Texas Commission on the Arts, for Borderland Writers in the Schools
- PEN-Texas Award for the Novel in Progress
- Artist Residencies: Hedgebrook Cottages; The U-Cross Foundation
Association for Writers and Writing Programs (AWP); Association for the Study of Literature and Environment (ASLE); WriterHouse, Charlottesville, VA; Author’s Guild
- Courses in: Creative Writing-fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction; nature/ environmental writing and literature; literature courses in modern and contemporary fiction and poetry; multicultural literature; Native American literature; literature & culture; composition
- Directed 11 MA theses in creative writing and literature
- Creative writing: fiction, poetry, and nonfiction
- Modern and contemporary literature
- Nature writing and environmental literature
- Magical realism
- Editing and publishing
- Folklore and cultural anthropology
- Appalachia and place-based studies
- Creative writing pedagogy