If your student visa expires while you are in the United States, you can remain in the country legally if you are otherwise maintaining your status. The visa is an entrance document and must be valid each time you enter the US. If you leave the country and your visa has expired, you will will need to renew your visa in order to be able to successfully re-enter the US. Remember, it is not possible to renew your visa in the United States. Please visit the Immigration and Customs Enforcement website for additional information regarding the visa renewal process.
Documents Needed to Renew Your Visa
- A valid Form I-20 with a valid travel signature
- Passport valid at least 6 months into the future
- Official bank statement showing sufficient funds to cover your estimated education expenses for at least 1 year
- Evidence showing your intent to return to your home country upon completing your degree
- If you have been approved for OPT, bring your Form I-20 with OPT recommendation and your EAD
- Any additional documentation required by the US Embassy or Consulate in your country such as a DS-160 (requirements can vary by country)