Warren Counseling Center 330-J
Sara W. Bailey, PhD, is an Assistant Professor in the Counselor Education Program at the University of Lynchburg. Dr. Bailey currently teaches Addiction Counseling, Career Development, Legal and Ethical Considerations in Counseling, and supervises Clinical Mental Health Internship I. Before joining the University of Lynchburg faculty, Dr. Bailey served as a Research Fellow in the Department of Surgery at Wake Forest Baptist Health in Winston-Salem, NC, where she conducted substance use Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) bedside counseling services with inpatients, with a special emphasis on patients who were at high risk for suicide. She has provided counseling services to adults from college age through older adulthood, and her research interests include issues of later life, enhancing empathy in students training to be helping professionals, and exploring best practices for assessing co-occurring SUDs/risky substance use and suicidal ideation or behaviors. Dr. Bailey enjoys hiking, reading psychological thrillers, and spending time with her husband and their two monster kittens.
- PhD, Counseling and Counselor Education – The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Gerontology – The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- MA, Clinical Mental Health Counseling – Wake Forest University
- BA, English & Psychology – The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Bailey, S. W., & Vaishnav, S. (2018, November). Let’s be blunt: Providing compassionate care to individuals who use cannabis. IAAOC Fall/Winter Webinar.
- Fullen, M. C., & Bailey, S. W. (2018, October). Coming of age in counselor education: How age perception impacts counselor and client wellness. Educational presentation at the Southern Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference, Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Bailey, S. W. (2018, April). Future-focused-self-loathing: Addressing ageism in counseling practice. Educational presentation at the American Counseling Association Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Bailey, S. W. (2017, April). A new age: Experiential activities to enhance empathy. Educational presentation at the Southern Gerontological Association Conference, Asheville, NC.
- Bailey, S. W. (2016, October). Older exposure: Reimagining gerocounseling in counselor education. Educational presentation at the Southern Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference, New Orleans, LA.