Undergraduate students attending University of Lynchburg who seek housing accommodations must qualify in keeping with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA), and the FHAA (Fair Housing Amendments Act). The Accessibility and Disability Resources Coordinator is responsible for evaluating whether to grant or deny a request for reasonable accommodation in university housing. The University Housing Reasonable Accommodation Policy (see numbered list below) is provided to assist students considering a housing accommodation.
To be considered for priority housing accommodations, a student must complete steps below on an annual basis by the deadline provided in the housing process dates outlined in Important Housing Dates. University of Lynchburg will accept and consider requests for reasonable housing accommodations at any time. The individual making the request for accommodation should complete and provide the Disability Accommodations Request Form for University Housing to Disability Services as soon as practicably possible before moving into university housing. However, if the request for accommodation is made fewer than 60 days before the individual intends to move into university housing, University of Lynchburg cannot guarantee that it will be able to meet the individual’s accommodation needs in a timely manner, but will make reasonable efforts to fulfill reasonable requests.
Apply annually for Housing Accommodations through the Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources
If you have not previously been approved for Housing Accommodations:
- Review the University Housing Reasonable Accommodation Policy (PDF).
- Complete the Disability Accommodations Request Form for University Housing.
- Complete the Reasonable Accommodation Verification Form for University Housing, available from the Accessibility and Disability Resources Coordinator. This form is to be provided to a qualified third party who can verify the disability and necessary accommodations for the student to use and enjoy university housing. Other forms of documentation (e.g. diagnostic testing, letter, medical records) will be accepted, but additional necessary information not provided may be required.
- Schedule and participate in an appointment with the Coordinator to review documentation and consider the accommodation request.
- Returning students: Returning students are encouraged to apply for housing accommodations during the Priority Housing Period prior to the standard housing process. Returning students who have been through the Standard Housing Process and apply for Housing Accommodations after this time will be considered for reasonable accommodations for housing. The impact of a request on assigned roommates, housemates or apartment mates will be considered. Appointments should be planned in a timely fashion in advance of the priority housing deadline for students with disabilities, to assure completion of the application process.
If you have previously been approved for Housing Accommodations:
- If necessary, provide any additional documentation requested by the Coordinator to support a housing accommodation request.
- Schedule and participate in an appointment with the Coordinator to review and consider renewal of your accommodation. Appointments should be planned in a timely fashion in advance of the priority housing deadline for students with disabilities, to assure completion of the application process.
The Coordinator, in consultation as necessary with the Office of Residence Life, the University of Lynchburg Health and Counseling Center and the Dean of Students Office will determine whether the requested accommodation is necessary and reasonable for the student to have the full use, enjoyment and benefit of university housing.
The Center for Accessibility and Disability Resources will notify the student, the Director of Residence Life and the Business Office in writing within seven (7) business days of its determination of accommodation.
Students who are denied a housing accommodation request must apply for housing through the standard housing process, which begins as outlined in the housing process dates: http://www.lynchburg.edu/student-life/housing/important-housing-dates/.
Students who apply and are approved for housing accommodations after the deadline, will become eligible for room assignment after the standard housing process is complete, on or after July 25th and as appropriate assignments to meet accommodations are available.
Residence Life will determine housing assignments based on the Coordinator’s accommodation recommendations. Please note the following specific information:
- Specific room requests/locations are not part of the application process.
- If students who are approved for housing accommodations choose to participate in the standard housing process, they may not retain any approved housing assignment based on disability/accommodations. “Holding” a housing accommodation assignment while participating in the standard housing process is not permitted.
- Students with approved housing accommodations for a single room may not participate in the group housing process.
- Groups are not assigned rooms based on an individual students’ housing accommodation.
- Students who wish to apply for housing on Southside should not apply for housing accommodations for a single room.
Julia R. Timmons
Accessibility and Disability Resources Coordinator
1501 Lakeside Drive
Lynchburg, VA 24501
434.544.8687 or 434.544.8339